Africa Check is a non-profit organisation set up in 2012 to promote accuracy in public debate and the media in Africa. The goal of Africa Check’s work is to raise the quality of information available to society across the continent. Since 2012 they have fact-checked hundreds of claims on topics from crime and race in South Africa to population numbers in Nigeria and fake health cures in countries around Africa.
Based in the Journalism Department of the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, Africa Check seeks to appoint the
TRi Facts General Manager
The fulltime manager will responsible for the efficient day-to-day running of TRi Facts - the commercial training and research division of Africa Check
The work will involve:
- Developing of strategy and business plans for the unit in line with broader organisational goals of Africa Check
- Developing of work plans in line with strategy
- Developing and managing of training modules, course manuals, and research methodology (in consultation with Deputy Director and liaison with the head of research and training)
- Pitching and presenting to clients in South Africa and development of a marketing operation outside South Africa
- Project managing, with responsibility for the completion of client requirements
- Brokering partnerships with other organisations, where necessary, to advance the work of TRi Facts
- Developing and maintaining of a network of freelance researchers and training facilitators to deliver these services, in liaison with the head of research and training services
- Acting as spokesperson for the unit
The Tri Facts General Manager possesses a diverse range of skills including business development, project planning, training facilitation and talent management.
To be successful, candidates must be able to demonstrate:
- Minimum 10 years workplace experience in either journalism or media or communications or academic/research institutions
- Proven competency at developing and managing processes and managing people
- Excellent command of English, and be skilled in writing, briefing and editing – either for commercial or specialist media or communications, or in an academic environment
- Excellent numeracy skills are essential. Competence with statistics and or data is an advantage
- Experience in teaching or training is an advantage
- Ability to work on very tight deadlines, and able to produce written reports to brief, with a fast turnaround.
- Experience working with deadline pressures in past positions
- Ability to represent TRi Facts at public events.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Friday 26th January 2018 to email@example.com