CIVICUS: WORLD ALLIANCE FOR CITIZEN PARTICIPATION
CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation is one of the leading and most diverse international civil society networks, with members and partners in more than 100 countries and a staff of 35 people from over 20 countries. CIVICUS implements a range of programmatic activities focusing on strengthening civil society and its role in governance and development worldwide. It also serves as a convener of global civil society leaders through its annual World Assembly.
CIVICUS seeks to appoint a Chief Operating Officer to be based in Johannesburg.
Duration: Full time, permanent role
Salary: US$120,000 per annum plus benefits
For non-South African citizens who will be moving to Johannesburg, we will cover relocation costs for the successful candidate and any immediate family members. We are prepared to help with (tax-free) accommodation costs and willing to contribute towards private education costs in Johannesburg for children under 18 years’ age.
- Oversee and coordinate financial and organisational planning, including annual budgets, consistent with CIVICUS’ strategic directions and values
- Ensure that all regulatory and donor requirements are met, and that CIVICUS leads by example on transparency and accountability
- Design and implement business strategies, plans and procedures
- Oversee design and implementation of organisation-wide policies and processes
- Support Secretary General with organisational management, organisational development initiatives, and organisational cohesion, and ensure that day-to-day operations of the organisation runs smoothly
- Design and maintain risk register, ensuring that CIVICUS makes informed decisions across the various elements of organisational risk and providing support to colleagues on managing risk
- Be an active participant in the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), championing our strategic goal of building a world-class civil society organisation
- Coordinate reporting to Board and its committees, particularly the Operations Committee
- Work with other members of the SLT to ensure high quality delivery of key internal services such as Human Resources, IT, and donor/grant reporting
- Oversee organisational investments, assets and facilities, managing expansion activities and relationships with partners/vendors
- Ensure efficient use of all CIVICUS resources and undertaking regular cost-benefit analysis to inform planning
- Promote a cohesive and productive workplace
- Minimum experience and commitment to the Organisation mission and values, and ability guide us through this exciting time in CIVICUS’ history
- 10 years’ experience of working in and leading finance and operations (including human resources, informational technology, and facilities)
- Be Strategic and pay attention to detail
- Ability to get the house in order and has ways to improve systems and processes
- Strong professionalism and integrity and enjoys working closely with our Secretary General and fellow members of the Senior Leadership Team
- familiar with civil society (having worked or volunteered in civil society organisations) and the legal, regulatory and funding environment that organisations like ours operate in
- Have experience of working in several countries or at least within organisations that have international operations
- Experience of working in South Africa would be a bonus
To apply, submit your CV, cover letter explaining why you are interested in and suitable for this post contact details of three current references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Phone interviews will be held in late January, with the possibility of second-round, in-person interviews and assessments required subsequently.
We hope that the successful candidate may be able to take up this post by May 2018, though we are prepared to delay this for an exceptional candidate with good reasons.
For more about CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation, refer to www.civicus.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies