Established in 1988 by anti-apartheid activists, the South African History Archive (SAHA) is an independent, nonprofit, activist archive committed to documenting, supporting, and promoting greater awareness of historical and, since 1994, contemporary struggles for justice and accountability.
SAHA seeks to appoint a Freedom of Information Programme Coordinator to be based at SAHA offices, Constitution Hill, Johannesburg.
Report to: The SAHA Director
Start date: 1 April 2018 (earlier start date negotiable)
- Oversee the running of SAHA’s access to information-focused legal clinic. This includes:
- Provide legal advice on behalf of SAHA in relation to all aspects of the right of access to information, and to SAHA in-house
- Manage and oversee the management of PAIA requests through-out their life-cycle; this includes drafting internal appeals, pleadings, letters, briefs to advocates and other legal correspondence
- Seek pro bono assistance from counsel, where necessary
- Provide expert input into advocacy and capability building efforts in relation to access to information policies and legislation
- Train and supervise the work of FOIP staff, including paralegals and interns (and potentially also candidate attorneys)
- Support management and strategic development of FOIP and SAHA. This includes identifying and fostering potential funding opportunities, submitting funding proposals, completing projects, submitting reports and generally providing support to the SAHA Director
- Maintain networks with other non-governmental organisations in order to consolidate access to information advocacy
- Oversee the ongoing development and maintenance of the FOIP website and PAIA Tracker System
- Admitted attorney with Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree or post graduate qualification/s who is qualified to work in South Africa
- Three to five years relevant experience, including experience in litigation and human rights advocacy as well as management experience
- Critical thinking and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Research and computer skills, including computer literacy in Microsoft office (Word, Excel and Power Point)
- Ability to work closely with a diverse group of professionals in a fast changing environment
- A demonstrable commitment to and interest in public interest law and social justice
- A valid driver’s licence and own transport
- With experience working on access to information and related issues
- Qualified to supervise candidate attorneys
- With fluency in at least one African language
To apply, submit CV with cover letter (one to two pages), copies of academic transcripts, and up-to-date contact details of at least two professional referees to email@example.com, the subject line of your email must include the following: FOIP Coordinator Application – [Your Name]
Your cover letter should include a short indication of your motivation for applying for this position.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interviews will be conducted at the SAHA offices in Johannesburg in week of 5 to 9 February 2018, between 10am and 4pm
For more about the South African History Archive, refer to www.saha.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies