The Social Justice Initiative (SJI) seeks to mobilise resources for South Africa's social justice sector through direct fundraising, increasing awareness of the contribution made by the sector, and initiating and facilitating relationships between philanthropists and organisations.
The SJI, based in Johannesburg, is currently seeking to appoint a PROGRAMME MANAGER.
To manage the relationships between the SJI, its grant makers, and grantees as well as support the facilitation of funds from high net-worth individuals and corporates into the social justice sector.
Key performance areas for this challenging position include:
- Identifying grant makers who can support SJI in disbursing funds to social justice organisations
- Recommending new grantees within the social justice space to grant makers
- Managing the relationship between the donor and beneficiaries of SJI funding
- Developing a systematic grant making process with the check and balances to ensure accountability and alignment with the SJI’s direct grant making policy
- Conducting due diligence, including office visits, vetting of governance and financial systems, and track record to deliver
- Organising knowledge sharing events on social justice issues
- Supporting the CEO in identifying new donors as well as with funding proposal applications and writing progress reports
Applicants with the following attributes are encouraged to apply for this exciting opportunity:
- Self-motivated manager who is passionate about social justice and has an understanding of civil society in the social justice sector
- Experience in managing grants and building relationships with grant makers
- Been exposed to designing innovative fundraising approaches targeted at high net-worth individuals
- A skilled and persuasive communicator, with a flair for developing new and engage with professionals and high net-worth individuals
- Excellent writing skills and ability to express complex issues in a simple manner
- Skilled at working in a decentralized, flexible and unconventional way, a creative and lateral thinker, easy to work with and skilled at delegating tasks to a network of service providers
- A pleasant, collegial and problem-solving disposition.
The Programme Manager must meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree with honours or Masters in Humanities, Marketing & PR, Communications, Business Development and Development Sciences.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience of successful grant making in an NGO and/or social enterprise environment.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Monday 08th January 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org