Institute for Security Studies (ISS)
The Institute for Security Studies is a leading African organisation that enhances human security to enable sustainable development and economic prosperity in Africa. It works across the continent, doing authoritative research, providing expert policy advice and delivering practical training and technical assistance.
ISS seeks to appoint a Senior Research to be based in South Africa.
Report to: the ISS Dakar Office Director
Duration: Three years
- Stay abreast of human security developments in West Africa through monitoring the media and other sources, primary research, and information gathered from national and international networks
- Initiate, plan and undertake primary and secondary research, and disseminate the results in a timely, insightful and relevant way to specific audiences
- Manage research projects and guide junior team members in the production of written content as well as briefings and presentations
- Maintain proactive relationships with key partners and relevant regional and international organisations
- Conduct regular media interviews
- Convene seminars, closed briefings and expert roundtables, and present research findings at ISS events and other relevant forums
- Identify new opportunities for funding, and draft concept notes and proposals
- Implement effective monitoring and evaluation plans for projects and ensure that relevant monitoring data is collected throughout the project cycle, including objective means to demonstrate and report on results
- Provide management support to the Office Direct
- Masters or PhD qualification in strategic/security studies, law or a relevant field
- At least five years work experience in a policy, research, government, training or other relevant professional environment
- Networking and Interpersonal skills, in particular the ability to work in constructive partnerships with international and continental organisations, governments and civil society
- At least two years experience in managing projects and supervising junior research staff
- Experience in budget management and financial administration
- Knowledge and practical experience of monitoring and evaluation
- Written and verbal communication skills supported by a track record of relevant publications, media commentary and public speaking at international forums
- English and French language skills. The candidate must be fluent in at least one of the two languages and should have a good command of the other (both written and verbal)
- Experience in and a willingness to work in a diverse team
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Willingness to travel
To apply, submit a motivation letter and CV, including at least three contactable referees to Aida Niang at email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The ISS is committed to achieving employment equity in the workplace.
Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
For more about the Institute for Security Studies, refer to www.issafrica.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies