Location: South Africa
ICCO Cooperation is looking for Project Evaluation Consultant to conduct external evaluation of the IAM (LGBTI) Project
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR FINAL EVALUATION OF IAM (LGBTI) PROJECT
- Title: Final evaluation of the Creating Dialogue on LGBTI Rights within Faith Communities in Southern and Eastern Africa project implemented by the IAM Transformation Network.
- Background: The Human Rights Funds for ‘’Small Activities’’ of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs facilitated the implementation of a project to create dialogue spaces within faith communities in the four Southern and Eastern African countries of South Africa, Malawi, Kenya and Uganda, between 2015-2017.
- Implemented by the IAM Transformation Network and supported by ICCO Cooperation, the project aim was to ensure that faith communities and religious representatives from these four countries have increased understanding of LGBTI rights, and no longer legitimize or support national anti-gay policies and/or laws. It intended to address the key problem of intolerance of diversity, while concurrently strengthening LGBTI groups to become effective change agents themselves in this respect.
Evaluation purpose, objectives and questions:
- Purpose: The purpose of the evaluation is to generate evidence on the relevance, efficiency, effectiveness and results against objectives and agreements formulated in the contract between both parties (ICCO Cooperation and IAM Ministries).
- Objective: The evaluation serves both as a learning exercise for both organizations and their partners, in addition to enhancing accountability to both donor and project beneficiaries.
- Main evaluation questions:
- Has the knowledge and application of Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity (SO /GI) principles and standards for LGBTI people, among theology students and churches targeted, increased as a result of the capacity building related initiatives?
- Has the awareness of issues faced by LGBTI people increased within the target groups? If so how?
- What are some of the structural changes expected within the IAM sphere of influence as a result of the trainings, and other related media advocacy and lobby interventions.
- What are the next steps for IAM in this regard?
- Stakeholders involvement: Parties in the project (IAM Ministries & ICCO Cooperation) will be represented in the composition of the evaluation team. The appointed external Consultant takes the lead and is responsible for all agreed aspects of the evaluation exercise.
- Organizational relationships and responsibilities: IAM Ministries as lead actor in the project remains responsible for the evaluation process, and will ensure that other stakeholders partake in the exercise. Ownership of the results also fits with IAM Ministries internal monitoring and evaluation cycle. The appointed Consultant will report directly to the Director of IAM Ministries.
- Methodology: A combination of desk reviews, field visits and interviews. The external evaluator will ensure the use of appropriate evaluation techniques and sufficient triangulation of findings.
Qualifications and experience required:
- A proven track record in designing and leading evaluation processes.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in final project evaluation.
- Experience working in the LGBTI space and with faith based groups.
- An understanding of rights and sexuality in the region.
Timeline: The final evaluation is expected to be carried out within a period of 30 days starting from end of January 2018.
Selection procedure: Following advertisements in the media, three service providers will be selected, and requested to submit a technical and financial proposal and action plan for the evaluation exercise.
Deliverables : The key deliverable will be an evaluation report written in consultation with IAM Ministries, to ensure correct reflection of the facts. The report being no longer than 50 pages, excluding relevant annexure, will consist of:
- Main Text, indicating purpose and objective, central and specific questions, justification of methods used, scope and limitation of the evaluation. A reconstruction of the relevant Theory of Change, including a short discussion of the theoretical issues, main intervention, strategies and description of the project area. Provides a clear analysis of findings, conclusions and recommendations for different stakeholders.
- An executive summary which can be used as a stand- alone report.
- Relevant annexure.
Budget: The proposals from selected Consultants will be used to determine applicable fees and expense (including taxes) which covers all costs for the evaluation assignment (including travel and daily allowances), until submission of the final report. The payment will be disbursed according to an agreed schedule.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit an Expression of interest letter outlining your experience and knowledge of the subject accompanied by a CV to: E.Kovandzhiyski@icco.nl