Project Manager, Housing and Infrastructure, Zambia/Lusaka and Chongwe/SolidarMed
SolidarMed is the Swiss organisation for Health in Africa and improves health care for 1.5 million people in Lesotho, Moçambique, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe. SolidarMed sustainably strengthens and meaningfully expands existing health services.
We are looking for a hands-on Project Manager to join our passionate field team. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced professional with strong skills in Business Administration and an interest in construction and development.
Project Manager, Housing and Infrastructure, Zambia
Fixed term appointment (minimum three years)
Place of Assignment
Lusaka or Chongwe, Zambia (with regular travel to all project sites)
Start of duties
February/March 2018, with some flexibility
SolidarMed in Zambia focusses on increasing national capacities for the training and retention of health workers.
The main goal of the housing project is to further develop a housing cooperative into an independent, sustainable not-for-profit company which can maintain and upgrade its housing portfolio with self-generated income. To achieve this, the current fully funded (until 2020) project phase focusses on:
- institutional development for sustainable self-administration
- construction of new housing units/renovation of existing housing stock
- establishing a functioning maintenance and renovations unit
- the development of a vocational training programme for bricklayers, integrated into the building activities
Your tasks and responsibilities as Project Manager
- Assume overall responsibility for the implementation, management, monitoring, budgeting, reporting, operational and financial annual planning of this project
- Budget control and safeguarding of internal controlling system
- Represent the housing cooperative at local, provincial, national and international level
- Coordinate and link with partners, donors, stakeholders as well as with the SolidarMed head office; proactively seek potential collaborations and funding opportunities
- Support and supervise the project and building sites
- Actively contribute to the development of the project in close cooperation with local partners
- Support fundraising with established partners
- Develop the institutional foundations of the cooperative (staff, logistics, accounting, general administration)
- Knowledge management, field research, policy dialogue
- Degree in a relevant subject such as Economics, Management, Development Studies, Business Administration or Public Health. A background in engineering, construction or similar is welcome, if combined with proven managerial and administrative skills.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience in project management, construction or administration
- “Hands-on” mentality, with a problem-solving and entrepreneurial approach
- Sound knowledge and experience of management and administration
- Experience in dealing with institutional donors and government officials desirable
- Knowledge of Programme- and Project Cycle Management and associated tools
- Excellent social and networking skills
- Team-player with good interpersonal skills. Able to develop and support other SolidarMed projects in Zambia in all infrastructure questions
- Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working and service-oriented personality
- Driver’s license required
- SolidarMed offers an attractive benefit package commensurate with Swiss standards, professional development opportunities and stimulating linkages with competence networks.
- A professionally run, innovative programme focused on training and retaining of health workers in Zambia, with a committed team
- Placement in or close to Zambia’s capital Lusaka, family posting possible
- To apply, please email your CV and a short letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org. Reference “Project Manager Housing”. Applications are accepted in electronic format only.
- Deadline for applications: 19th of December 2017
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview
- Please also indicate how you heard about the job posting (if via the internet, please mention which site)
- For further information, please email Claudia Liedtke (email@example.com). We look forward to receiving your application!