Country Director Zambia/Health/HIV/Education/SolidarMed/Lusaka
SolidarMed is the Swiss organisation for Health in Africa and improves the health care of 1.5 million people in Lesotho, Moçambique, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe. SolidarMed sustainably strengthens and meaningfully expands existing health services.
We are looking for an experienced development professional to manage our programme portfolio in Zambia and lead our passionate field team.
Country Director Zambia (full time)
Fixed term appointment (minimum 3 years)
Place of Assignment
Lusaka, Zambia (with regular travel to all SolidarMed project sites)
Start of duties
February or March 2018, with some flexibility
SolidarMed in Zambia focusses on increasing national capacities for the training and retention of health workers.
The programme has a countrywide focus and supports national training institutions to provide a skilled, professional health workforce.
SolidarMed supports two partner training institutions to improve the quality of their practical and theoretical training (Chainama College of Health Sciences, Lusaka; St. Luke’s School of Nursing and Midwifery, Mpanshya).
Another area of activity is the further development of a housing cooperative to build, renovate and maintain staff houses for rural health workers.
Your tasks and responsibilities as Country Director:
- Assume overall responsibility for the coordination, implementation, management, monitoring, budgeting, reporting and annual planning of the SolidarMed country programme, including managing 4 expatriate staff
- Represent SolidarMed Zambia
- Coordinate and link with partners, donors, stakeholders; proactively seek potential collaborations
- Contribute to programme- and project development
- Engage in local fundraising
- Institutional development (staff, logistics, accounting, general administration)
- Budget control and safeguarding of internal controlling system
- Operational and financial annual planning
- Ensure the delivery of timely, high quality programme and project reports
- Liaison with donors in Switzerland and Liechtenstein
- Knowledge management, field research, policy dialogue
Additional responsibilities as Project Manager for Decentralised Nurse & Midwife Training (until December 2018):
- Coordinate - with the help of two expatriate staff – the partnership with St Luke’s School of Nursing and Midwifery
- Assume overall responsibility for the implementation, management, monitoring, budgeting and reporting of the Decentralised Nurse & Midwife Training project at St. Luke’s School of Nursing and Midwifery, Mpanshya
- Actively contribute to the development of the next phase of the project in close cooperation with the Nursing School
- Degree in a relevant subject such as Economics, Public Health, Management, Development Studies or Business Administration
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- 6 years of professional experience, with a minimum of 1 year managing a team in a development context
- Experience in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development and health programmes
- Sound knowledge and experience of management and administration, experience in financial administration desirable
- Experience in dealing with institutional donors and government officials
- Knowledge of Programme- and Project Cycle Management and associated tools
- Excellent social and networking skills
- Team-player with good interpersonal skills. Able to develop and support other team members
- Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, entrepreneurial and service-orientated
- Driver’s license
- SolidarMed offers an attractive benefit package commensurate with Swiss standards, professional development opportunities and stimulating linkages with competence networks.
- A professionally run, innovative programme focused on training and retaining of health workers in Zambia, with a committed team
- Placement in Zambia’s capital Lusaka, family posting possible
- To apply, please send your CV and a short letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org, reference “Zambia Country Director”. Applications are accepted in electronic format only.
- Deadline for applications: 19th of December 2017
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview
- Please also indicate how you heard about the job posting (if via the internet, please mention which site).
- For further information, please email Claudia Liedtke (email@example.com). We look forward to receiving your application!