OLICO is looking to appoint a vibrant and dynamic individual with strong MATHEMATICS skills to coordinate the Year Beyond (YeBo) Maths & Literacy Programme in a Western Cape school in 2018.
The YeBo Maths & Literacy Programme seeks to improve the schooling performance of Grade 8 & 9 learners by providing after-school academic support in maths and literacy. The successful candidate will play the lead mathematics-tutoring role and oversee the daily after-school activities and YeBo volunteers.
This position involves working closely with the OLICO team, teachers and learners. OLICO currently operates out of Heideveld High School and is looking to add an additional high school nearby (the exact school is still to be determined). The successful candidate will be responsible for managing relationships with the school and families. The candidate will monitor and support progress and retention of learners. OLICO is committed to helping build a strong, inclusive, democratic and collaborative educational platform and environment.
The project is located at a Western Cape High School, mosty likely in the Delft/Gugulethu/Mitchells Plain/Khayelitsha area and the position is full-time. Candidates from the above mentioned communities and/or those with a tertiary qualification or teaching/community/volunteering experience have an advantage.
Duties & Responsibilities include:
- Coordinate the YeBo Maths & Literacy Project at a Western Cape High School with the volunteers
- Plan and implement the daily after-school sessions as per the OLICO process
- Provide maths tutoring assistance to learners on the programme
- Contribute to the on-going refinement of OLICO materials & programme
- Recruit and manage the retention of Grade 8 & 9 learners
- Manage key strategic partnerships with volunteers, schools and families
OLICO needs someone who:
- Is strong mathematically
- Achieved at least 70% for pure maths in matric and/or relevant 3-year tertiary qualification
- Has relevant experience in either mathematics education or community-based projects
- Is familiar with technology and adept at using computers
- Has a warm personality and is able to interact well with young people
- Is creative, organised, pragmatic and efficient
- Is passionate about the potential for education to alleviate poverty
Initially a 1 year full-time contract. Based at the selected Western Cape High School.
Please submit your CV PLUS detailed motivation (1-2pages max) to email@example.com by 5 December 2017.
Salary range: R12 000 - R15 000 pm based on experience/qualifications.
The position starts in January 2018. Visit www.olico.org for more about OLICO.