OLICO Education is looking to appoint a vibrant, dynamic and enthusiastic individual who is passionate about mathematics and making it accessible to young learners. The successful candidate will coordinate OLICO’S MATHS CLUBS programme for Grade 1-6 learners; offer training support to Maths Clubs partner organisations; and collaborate with the SA Maths Clubs Collective.
OLICO’s after-school MATHS CLUBS offer fun, exciting and engaging maths activities for learners in Grades 1-6. The lessons and activities are designed to build strong number-sense skills and a love for mathematics. Maths Clubs take place in small groups of 10-15 learners at a time. The MATHS CLUBS COORDINATOR will be responsible for directly facilitating the daily after-school sessions and/or supporting OLICO’s existing facilitators. There will 25 Maths Clubs in Diepsloot in 2018 with the aim to establish 100 Maths Clubs in Diepsloot by 2020.
In addition, the MATHS CLUBS COORDINATOR will offer regular training and coaching support to community partner organisations running Maths Clubs in their own communities. The successful candidate will also work closely with the OLICO team and the SA Maths Clubs Collaboration Network to jointly develop effective solutions to some of SA’s most stubborn maths challenges.
The successful candidate will play a leading role in developing a love of numbers with Maths Clubs learners and in developing a resource for schools, teachers, parents and NGOs to use in their own contexts. Finally, the successful candidate will be responsible for on-going monitoring and evaluating the progress of the Maths Clubs and individual learners, as well as managing learner retention and collaborations within the MATHS CLUBS programme. See www.olico.org and www.mathsclubs.co.za.
Duties & Responsibilities include:
- Coordinate the OLICO Maths Clubs in Diepsloot and oversee OLICO’s Maths Clubs’ facilitators.
- Prepare and facilitate Maths Clubs sessions drawing on existing and jointly developed materials.
- Plan and organise regular Family Fun Maths days (usually on Saturdays, once a term).
- Contribute to the freely-shared online resource at www.mathsclubs.co.za.
- Monitor and evaluate Maths Clubs and individual learner progress.
- Provide training & coaching to community partner organisations running Maths Clubs of their own.
- Manage key strategic partnerships with collaborations, schools and families.
OLICO needs someone who:
- Holds a relevant three-year degree or better (ideally a post-graduate qualification).
- Is passionate about mathematics and making it accessible to young learners.
- Has relevant experience in either maths education and/or community-based projects.
- Is patient, compassionate and enjoys working with and developing young learners.
- Is familiar with technology and is adept at using computers.
- Is solution-focused and willing to work in a structured manner to find context-specific solutions.
- Is creative, yet organised, pragmatic and efficient.
- Is passionate about the potential for education to alleviate poverty.
- Is a strong proponent of collaboration and a strong team player.
The successful candidate will be based at OLICO’s Diepsloot centre in Joburg and should have their own transport.