The Charles Stewart Mott Foundation is a private foundation based in Flint, Michigan, providing grant support for programs throughout the U.S. and internationally. The Foundation’s work is focused in four programs: Environment, Civil Society, Education, and the Flint Area. The Foundation awarded 420 grants totaling approximately $124 million in 2016. The person filling this position will work out of the Foundation’s Johannesburg office.
THE CIVIL SOCIETY PROGRAM
The Foundation’s Civil Society program supports the active engagement of people in their local communities and the development of the nonprofit and philanthropic sectors in four primary geographic areas: Central and Eastern Europe, South Africa, United States, and Global Nonprofit Sector and Philanthropy. The Mott Foundation makes approximately 100 grants totaling $15 million annually to support Civil Society programming. Civil Society staff are based in Flint, Johannesburg, and London, U.K.
Based in Johannesburg, The Charles Stewart Mott Foundation seeks to fill the following vacancy:
The principal responsibility of the new program officer will be to manage the Foundation’s efforts to support the community advice office (CAO) sector in South Africa and access to justice programming in Africa. The Foundation’s grant making under this program area aims to foster strong and sustainable CAOs and related community-based organizations that assist poor and marginalized communities to access justice. The Foundation supports intermediary organizations and networks that assist with advocacy efforts, provide infrastructure support, and develop the capacity of CAOs and related community-based organizations. Also, the successful candidate may also contribute to the Foundation’s programming to develop philanthropy and strengthen civil society in South Africa and work on programs in Africa more broadly.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Program Management: Keeping abreast of developments in assigned program areas, noting existing and developing trends
- Grant Administration: Investigating, administering, and monitoring grants within program areas. Serving as the Foundation’s chief liaison to grantees and provide expertise and technical assistance as needed. Serving as a resource to the public and nonprofit sectors when appropriate and consistent with the Foundation’s policies and procedures
- Foundation Contribution: Developing a general awareness of the Foundation’s program areas and work collaboratively with other program staff when appropriate. Supervising, training and mentoring other staff when appropriate
The Program Officer must meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Have at least five years’ experience working on civil society issues in Africa
- Have strong analytical, writing, and verbal communication skills in English
- Be committed to strengthening civil society, developing philanthropy, and advancing access to justice
- Have the desire and ability to work collaboratively and respectfully with established and emerging civil society organizations
- Demonstrate commitment to working with diverse communities that have shared interests in positive outcomes
- Have prior experience in thinking creatively and strategically about how to direct limited resources to leverage change
- Have strong project, time, and budget management skills
- Be willing to conduct extensive travel (approximately 70 days per year)
- Be able to live and work legally in South Africa
- Be flexible and work well as a member of a team and with other teams/departments throughout the Foundation
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za an email your application by Friday 24th November 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org