Centre for Applied Legal Studies
For The Centre for Applied Legal Studies (CALS) is a civil society organisation based at the School of Law at the University of the Witwatersrand. CALS is also a law clinic, registered with the Law Society of the Northern Provinces. As such, CALS connects the worlds of both academia and social justice. CALS’ vision is a socially, economically and politically just society where repositories of power, including the state and the private sector, uphold human rights.
CALS seeks to appoint a Candidate Attorney to be based in Johannesburg.
Duration: Fixed-term, three-year appointment with the intention of a longer-term appointment
Start: January 2018
Salary: Remuneration is commensurate with experience, CALS is a grant-funded institution and the level of remuneration is dependent on available funding
- Assisting in strategic litigation cases
- Research in support of advocacy and litigation activities
- Conducting field research in communities
- Drafting pleadings and legal opinions
- Assisting in the drafting of research reports
- Providing input into draft policies and legislation
- Preparing documents for, and appearing in, court
- Liaison with clients, counsel and partners
- Representing CALS in civil society forums
- An LLB or equivalent degree
- A demonstrated interest in human rights work and social justice
- Interest in research as a component of lawyering
- Oral and written communication skills in English
- South African languages will be an advantage
- Computer Literacy (Microsoft Office)
Apply by using Wits’ online portal at https://irec.wits.ac.za/
Should you experience difficulties with the online application, please contact Ms Zelda Stroud, Human Resources Officer firstname.lastname@example.org
- A cover letter indicating why you are interested in this position, as well as the names and contact details of three referees
- A detailed CV
- An official academic transcript
- A writing sample of max 10 pages
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Candidates must wish to pursue a career in social justice in particular rather than just securing a job.
CALS particularly welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to the diversity and transformation of the social justice sector.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The University reserves the right not to appoint if suitable candidates are not found.
For more about Centre for Applied Legal Studies, refer to www.wits.ac.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies