Foundation for Human Rights (FHR)
Type of contract: Fixed-Term
Duty Station: Johannesburg
Opportunity closing date: Thursday, 30 November 2017
The Foundation for Human Rights (FHR) is a grant making institution supporting civil society organizations in South Africa and the region that implement programmes which promote and protect human rights. FHR are currently implementing a programme in partnership with the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development called Socio-Economic Justice for All (SEJA) which aims at increased awareness, respect, protection and fulfillment of human rights and socio-economic rights for all people. The programme prioritizes vulnerable and marginalized groups.
The FHR seeks to appoint appropriately qualified individuals for its internship programme, based in Parktown, Johannesburg.
Duration: 12 months (10 March 2018 to 28 February 2019)
- Encourage those interested and committed to working in strengthening human rights-based approaches to building civil society;
- Contribute to addressing the problems relating to skills shortage, by increasing the skills level of those entering the labour market;
- Improve the chances of employment in the chosen field by enhancing the capacity of the interns, while at the same time and in return, getting some value for the FHR;
- Contribute to the job-readiness of interns by exposing them to a practical working experience/environment;
- Inculcate human rights values in interns and strive to ensure that such values become part of their work ethic;
- Enhance the capacity of the FHR with an increased number of staff available to take on a range of administrative and programmatic functions.
- Participate actively in assigned Programme work, ensuring that systems, processes and outputs are grounded in FHR values;
- Participate in internal communication and teamwork;
- Work within the programme team to ensure the effective implementation of organization’s objectives;
- As and when required within reason, work beyond the scope of any job description.
- Working knowledge of and commitment to Human Rights, especially in a South African context;
- A postgraduate degree in social sciences such as: Development Studies, Economics, Political Science, History, Public Policy, Social Science, International Relations, Law and Sociology;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and responsibility for areas of work;
- Fluency in English;
- Additional language skills and project work experience are a plus.
To apply, submit a CV along with certificates, motivational letter and the details of two contactable referees to firstname.lastname@example.org alternatively, post your applications marked 2018 Internship on the envelop to: Foundation for Human Rights, Private Bag X124, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2017, Gauteng, South Africa.
Deadline for all application submissions is Thursday, 30 November at 13h00.
Late and incomplete applications will not be considered for the position.
Only suitable qualified candidates will be considered.
Important: FHR reserves the right to cancel the position should the needs of the FHR change or should we regard the submissions not to be adequate based on its needs.
For more about the Foundation for Human Rights, refer to www.fhr.org.za