Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC
Opportunity Type: Fixed Term Employment
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC seeks individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people in the Southern African region and demonstrate leadership, versatility and integrity in their work. We are seeking exceptional candidates for the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP).
The USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP) is a five-year project that works to advance energy policy and regulatory reform, and accelerate investment to increase power generation and access to electricity throughout the region. According to World Bank data, less than 25% of the non-South African population living in the Southern African region have access to electric power. The limited reliable power affects the competitiveness of Southern African industry, agriculture, and the economic opportunity and health conditions for rural populations, women, and youth. Through strengthening the enabling environment and facilitating public and private transactions, SAEP leverages the momentum of private investment to help focus SAEP’s resources in ways that best support the reform of national and regional energy ecosystems. At the same time, SAEP produces the tangible results needed to create a sustainable cycle of additional reforms, increased investment and continued political will.
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC seeks candidates for the following position:
Solar Energy Systems Engineer – Rural Electrification
The Solar Energy Systems Engineer will work in Zambia specifically, but in future may also work on other similar projects in other countries in Southern Africa. The Solar Energy Systems Engineer will work under the leadership, and with the support of the SAEP Outcome 4 Lead in Lusaka, Zambia. The Rural Electrification Authority (REA) of Zambia is a statutory body created by an Act of Parliament, the Rural Electrification Act No. 20 of 2003, to promote and facilitate access to electricity by the rural population of Zambia. REA wishes to concession the development of Renewable Energy Mini Grids in Samfya, Lunga and Mumbwa districts to the private sector.
Activities and Duties will include:
The Solar Energy Systems Engineer will support REA to select developers for the 3 mini grid concession areas. A successful selection process will contribute to REA’s electrification targets and advance the goal of the SAEP to increase connections in Zambia. The Specialist will assist REA to establish procedures that can be replicated countrywide. The outcome of the process will be written up for possible application in other SAEP countries.
- The Solar Energy Systems Engineer will support REA to conduct the following tasks:
- Evaluate and shortlist bidders from the EOI submissions – 25%
- Support REA to develop Requests for Proposals, including terms of reference for the participation of private developers – 25%
- Support REA during the tendering process and the evaluation of proposals, including the preparation of the evaluation report – 25%
- Review the Zambian Public Private Partnership Act No. 14 of 2009, the Rural Electrification Act No.20 of 2003 and other relevant laws to recommend models of partnership between REA/GRZ and the private investors – 25%
Skills / Competencies Required:
- Engineering Project Proposal analysis and financial evaluation
- Project risk analysis
- Ability to extract and analyze relevant data to make sound judgements
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills to convey complex ideas to people with varying levels of expertise
- Ability to build productive working relationships and work within a team
- Presentation skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work alone under pressure, often to tight deadlines
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to juggle and prioritize different tasks
- Self-reliance and motivation
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of 6 years professional experience working in the energy sector
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering field. Master’s degree preferred
- Substantive solar power engineering systems experience, including origination, engineering, evaluation, structuring/execution and post-deal maintenance of various projects
- Deep experience in the Southern Africa region and in target countries is highly preferred
- Excellent communications skills in English
- Preference will be given to SADC nationals
- Must have the ability to work in South Africa
Please send a cover letter stating role applicability and a CV (PDF or word format) that includes contact information and three references to email@example.com by 24 November 2017. Please include the title of the position you are applying to in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Project LLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.