Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC
Opportunity Type: Fixed Term Employment
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC seeks individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people in the Southern African region and demonstrate leadership, versatility and integrity in their work. We are seeking exceptional candidates for the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP).
The USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP) is a five-year project that works to advance energy policy and regulatory reform, and accelerate investment to increase power generation and access to electricity throughout the region. According to World Bank data, less than 25% of the non-South African population living in the Southern African region have access to electric power. The limited reliable power affects the competitiveness of Southern African industry, agriculture, and the economic opportunity and health conditions for rural populations, women, and youth. Through strengthening the enabling environment and facilitating public and private transactions, SAEP leverages the momentum of private investment to help focus SAEP’s resources in ways that best support the reform of national and regional energy ecosystems. At the same time, SAEP produces the tangible results needed to create a sustainable cycle of additional reforms, increased investment and continued political will.
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC seeks candidates for the following position:
The Energy Procurement/IPP Specialist will work in the Southern Africa Region. Objectives of the work are to:
- Evaluate and make recommendations on the business environment for IPPs in a given country
- Develop strategies to enhance private sector interest in IPPs
- Provide technical assistance to Stakeholders seeking to attract IPPs
- Make recommendations on procurement processes for IPPs
- Provide technical assistance in the evaluation of Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs)
- Develop the capacity of Stakeholders to conduct the above work sustainably
Although the objectives and interventions are common, the design of country activities depends on the structure of national economies and the drivers of electricity supply. The Specialist will work under the leadership, and with the support of the SAEP Outcome 1 Lead who is based in Pretoria, South Africa.
- Identify barriers to entry to entry that prevent potential IPPs from proceeding and make recommendations that remove these barriers
- Provide technical assistance to develop transparent procurement processes that also address management of unsolicited proposals
- Provide technical assistance to improve the capacity to establish criteria to evaluate IPPs
- Enhance the capacity of Stakeholders to negotiate and evaluate PPAs
- Establish analytical tools to decide upon the relative merits of competing IPP proposals
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills to convey complex ideas to people with varying levels of expertise
- Ability to build productive working relationships
- Ability to lead team members and coordinate multiple streams of work
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work alone under pressure, often to tight deadlines
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Master’s degree in finance, economics, accounting and/or law; or JD or LLB; or 10 years’ experience in IPP procurement
- 7 years’ experience analyzing, or guiding the development of contractual documents to support the integration of IPPs, including Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs)
- 7 years’ experience analyzing, or guiding the development of energy tenders, and understanding of the roles/responsibilities of stakeholders, including governmental bodies, in the tender process
- Experience in the analysis of PPAs to ensure they are in the public interest
- Familiarity with the legal and regulatory frameworks in the SADC region
- English fluency or native-level English language ability
- Knowledge of regulatory principles
- Preference will be given to SADC nationals
- Must have the ability to work in South Africa
Please send a cover letter stating role applicability and a CV (PDF or word format) that includes contact information and three references to email@example.com by 24 November 2017. Please include the title of the position you are applying to in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Project LLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will received consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.