Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC
Opportunity Type: Fixed Term Employment
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC seeks individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people in the Southern African region and demonstrate leadership, versatility and integrity in their work. We are seeking exceptional candidates for the USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP).
The USAID Southern Africa Energy Program (SAEP) is a five-year project that works to advance energy policy and regulatory reform, and accelerate investment to increase power generation and access to electricity throughout the region. According to World Bank data, less than 25% of the non-South African population living in the Southern African region have access to electric power. The limited reliable power affects the competitiveness of Southern African industry, agriculture, and the economic opportunity and health conditions for rural populations, women, and youth. Through strengthening the enabling environment and facilitating public and private transactions, SAEP leverages the momentum of private investment to help focus SAEP’s resources in ways that best support the reform of national and regional energy ecosystems. At the same time, SAEP produces the tangible results needed to create a sustainable cycle of additional reforms, increased investment and continued political will.
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Projects LLC seeks candidates for the following position:
Energy Efficiency/Demand Side Management Specialist (EE/DSM)
The EE/DSM Specialist will initially work in Zambia specifically, but in future may also work on other similar projects in Southern Africa. Objectives of the work are:
- Design EE/DSM practices and systems
- Assist the national utility to reduce peak demand.
- Although the objectives and interventions are common, the design of country activities depends on the structure of national economies and the drivers of electricity demand. In Zambia the focus will initially be on the mining sector. The Specialist will work under the leadership, and with the support of the SAEP Outcome 4 Lead who is based in Lusaka, Zambia.
Activities and Duties will include:
- Document the status of ongoing EE and DSM: Examine and document the status of current EE and DSM regulation in Zambia, including an assessment of the impact that the existing regulation has had on efficiency and on load management in the mining industry.
- Together with the Regulator (ERB in Zambia), engage the utility (ZESCO), energy sector players (CEC) and the Chamber of Mines to develop a regulatory framework for EE and DSM in the mining industry, with a focus on interruptible loads.
- Assist with identification, promotion, implementation and sustaining of energy efficient and integrated Demand Side Management initiatives through a specialized energy advisory service.
- Assist and advise on alignment of industry to latest energy efficient technologies and processes.
- Advise on the management of national DSM programs.
- Provide an advisory service to customers and energy advisors on financing and funding mechanisms.
- Provide an advisory service to customers and energy advisors on related legislation and environmental issues.
Skills / Competencies required:
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills to convey complex ideas to people with varying levels of expertise
- Ability to build productive working relationships and work within a team
- Presentation skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work alone under pressure, often to tight deadlines
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to juggle and prioritize different tasks
- Self-reliance and motivation
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering field. Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 6 years professional experience working in the energy sector
- Energy walk-through assessment processes for identifying energy management opportunities
- Knowledge of integrated demand management funding options
- Energy management knowledge
- Industrial processes knowledge
- Energy vs process comparison knowledge
- Electromechanical knowledge
- Business operations knowledge
- Tariffs and pricing mechanisms knowledge
- Regulatory principles knowledge
- Customised pricing agreements / customer incentive schemes knowledge
- Deep experience in the Southern Africa region and in target countries is highly preferred
- Excellent communications skills in English
- Preference will be given to SADC nationals
- Must have the ability to work in South Africa
Please send a cover letter stating role applicability and a CV (PDF or word format) that includes contact information and three references to email@example.com by 24 November 2017. Please include the title of the position you are applying to in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deloitte Consulting Overseas Project LLC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.