Save the Children South Africa
|Job Title:||Child Protection Thematic Lead|
|Grade:||SCSA 3 (566)|
|Reports to:||Programme Director|
|Child Protection Level:||2|
|Travel Requirements:||30-40% Domestic and internationally|
|Budget Responsibilities:||TBC (in excess of R2 million)|
|Asset Responsibilities:||SCSA work tools|
The Child Protection Thematic Lead will provide overall responsibility, technical guidance and leadership for the development and implementation of SCSA’s Child protection Programme. In accordance with SCSA’s Vision 2020, the Child Protection Programme Manager will select and lead a team to design a programme that aims to deliver on the strategic goal of the programme and the goals of each of the subthemes within the programme. Technical advice provided will include strategic and operational planning & implementation, input into monitoring and evaluation, managing programme quality, financial and narrative reporting and liaison with relevant stakeholders and community mobilisation. The Child Protection Programme Manager will support the Provincial Programme Managers in the development of relevant Child Protection Projects in their respective provinces that contribute to the achievement of the goals of each of the subthemes within the Child Protection Programme.
The performance of the Child Protection Thematic will be evaluated on the quality of all SCSA’s Child Protection Projects and will assume responsibility of the growth of the programme on an annual basis.
- Develop long to medium term Child Protection Programme for SCSA and SCSA’s strategic approach to Child Protection;
- Provide technical support to the Provincial Managers, project managers, field teams, stakeholders and other Child Protection staff on matters which may include inter alia, the facilitation of learning events, the development of training and technical materials, discussions, workshops, demonstrations and joint visits;
- Monitor trends, innovations and best practise in the Child Protection field from South Africa and elsewhere and incorporate where appropriate;
- Facilitate development and maintain annual operational plans for the Child Protection Programme;
- In collaboration with the Research Manager, produce and coordinate Child Protection related research publications, position papers and opinion pieces in support of SCSA’s reputational ambitions;
- Provide a regular national and global policy analysis on the Child Protection sector for SMT and all SCSA program Staff;
- Assume responsibility in the development of concept notes and donor proposals in Child Protection field, and actively participate in the development of concept notes and donor proposals for other Programmes and projects where Child Protection activities are included;
- Represent SCSA at relevant meetings in the technical field including with partner agencies / NGOs/government agencies in South Africa and elsewhere;
- Establish and deepen new and existing collaborative relationships with government stakeholders at local, provincial and national levels;
- Support integration of Child Protection components into other programmatic areas and vice-versa;
- In collaboration with the communications unit, prepare documentation, media and other reports on SCSA’s education work;
- Participate in monitoring & evaluation process design, implementation, analysis and associated development of recommendation to enhance programme quality;
- Produce internal and external narrative and financial (including donor) reports & reviews as required;
- Facilitate and contribute to the documentation of child protection good practice stories, case studies and articles. This will include actively participating in Child Protection knowledge management.
- Other similar duties as the supervisor may require.
- Masters degree in Social Work, Development Studies or related qualification.
- Extensive experience in project and Programme Management.
- Qualification in project and Programme Management will be an advantage.
- An in-depth understanding of the Child Protection Sector in South Africa.
- 5 years working experience in the Child Protection Sector, with an emphasis on Children on the Move programming, design and development of prevention and response strategies for Child Abuse, Violence against Children and the National Child Protection System in the South Africa.
- Knowledge of the children’s sector in South Africa is desirable.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural, field environment with stakeholders ranging from children and young people, government agencies and the wider community.
- Strong analytical skills and budget management skills.
- Competence in MS Office and basic Excel.
- Experience in advising senior management on programme matters.
- Highly developed communication skills both written and verbal English is essential.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter with your CV to email@example.com by close of business by 24 November 2017.