Environmental Monitoring Group (EMG)
You will be able to hit the ground running and be a good fit if you are a creative conceptual thinker; politically astute but not dogmatic; self-motivated; able to work well in a loosely structured team environment; and emotionally stable and mature.
The Environmental Monitoring Group is an independent NGO established in 1991 and working to promote the effective participation of civil society in environmental policy and practice. We do this through researching case-studies, building networks and facilitating the engagement of civil society groups and activists with policy processes.
We are looking for an experienced Project Manager based in our Cape Town office to start in January 2018.
For this senior position, you must be able to hit the ground running and take over the management of existing projects. You should have at least 5 years project management experience in the NGO sector, good all-round management skills and a passion for environmental and social justice. You will need a thorough understanding of SA’s socio-environmental context. Knowledge of policy issue relating to water services, water resource management and climate change will be a strong advantage.
You will be a good fit if you are a creative and conceptual thinker; politically astute but not dogmatic; self-motivated; able to work well in a loosely structured team environment; and emotionally stable and mature.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing and directing existing projects
- Developing new strategic areas of work
- Managing a team of up to 4 co-workers
- Maintaining relations with existing donors and cultivating new ones
Essential skills will include:
- Project management (planning, monitoring budgets, M&E, reporting, etc.)
- Good command of English (with additional local language a distinct advantage)
- Ability to write (reports, media releases, etc.)
- Ability to communicate (media, government, public)
- A short but comprehensive CV (max 4 pages)
- A letter motivating why you believe you are the ideal candidate
- Your desired remuneration range
- This is a full-time, Cape Town-based position working in our Observatory office
- Applicant must be a South African citizen or have a valid work permit
- Only candidates short-listed for interview will be contacted. If you have not heard from us by 27 November, please assume that you have not been short-listed
- Short-listed candidates will be required to supply names and contact details of at least 3 references