Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC)
EDC, with funding from USAID, will be implementing the School-Based Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education Activity, a 5-year contract (currently in year 3) that will support the South African Government to reduce HIV infections in students and teachers by assisting the Department of Basic Education to implement high quality, evidence-informed sexuality and HIV prevention education programs.
EDC is a global nonprofit organization that designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Working with public sector and private partners, we harness the power of people and systems to improve education, health promotion and care, workforce preparation, communications technologies, and civic engagement. Founded in 1958, EDC’s headquarters are located in Waltham, Massachusetts, USA with additional offices in New York City and Washington, DC, Nairobi and Bangkok. EDC implements projects in over 35 countries with more than 1,300 employees worldwide.
EDC is seeking a Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist (M&E Specialist) who will manage routine data collection and quality control and drive data utilization for its programs.
The person in this role will support data collection, cleaning, validation and visualization for the Program. The role will include database maintenance, implementation of new components of routine data collection (by adding to the existing database) and managing users’ privileges.
The position will report to the Director for Monitoring and Evaluation and will collaborate closely with the Technical Director for the Project, and program counterparts. The M&E Specialist will work collaboratively with all members of the program team and will coordinate with staff throughout EDC focused on monitoring evaluation and also with external partners.
- Manage routine data, including data cleaning and entry in the DATIM, DIMES and EDC databases.
- Report any errors identified during data review to appropriate team members and assist in resolving issues.
- Build new components of database data collection and aggregation tools as required.
- Run descriptive data analyses.
- Generate/update pivot tables and charts of the indicators of interest for routine monitoring purposes as well as ad hoc requests.
- Communicate regularly with Provincial Operations Managers (POMs), Department of Basic Education Officials, schools and other relevant stakeholders.
- Propose, develop and support others developing content for dissemination including blogs, other social media, technical reports etc.
- Ensure data cleanliness, quality and security. Carry out internal data quality assessments for capacity building and ensuring program data is of good quality.
- Create and enforce project-wide data processing protocols, including manuals and reference guides, for proper use of the project database and related functions;
- Find and implement technological solutions to data-related challenges;
- Maintain master copies of data collection forms (ensuring accurate updating as needed) and supporting documentation for data management system in electronic venue accessible to relevant teams.
- Conduct periodic visits to districts to monitor activities in coordination with field staff; identify and implementation problems; and work with technical staff to resolve.
- Perform other duties, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Sciences, International Development, Social Sciences, Health Informatics, or related fields. Master’s degree is an added advantage.
- 3-5 years of experience in management and utilization of program data (preferably public health related programming)
- Experience managing (cleaning, entering, aggregating and generating reports from) data using database platforms; Knowledge of database platforms (high-functioning user level required, developer skills not required)
- Knowledge of online, open-source data collection tools and approaches and database environment ( DATIM, DIMES) are a requirement
- Experience preparing donor, general audience, and other reports
- Advanced Excel skills and quantitative analysis
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet software, and data processing
- Experience with knowledge sharing and management platforms (wikis, Facebook, WebEx, etc.)
- Strong data visualisation skills with an ability to design clear and attractive presentations and other communication documents, including training manuals
- Experience with or exposure to public health, preferably in South Africa
- Experience with design of routine health or other social service data collection tools and systems a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Eligibility to work in South Africa
Application and contact details:
Interested qualified candidates are requested to submit their resumes to email@example.com by 10 November 2017. To ensure the timely review of your credentials, please insert “Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist” in the subject line of the email. Only candidates who are being invited for an interview will be contacted.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits.