The Right2Know Campaign is an umbrella group of organisations and activists campaigning to advance the free flow of information in South Africa. R2K is best known for leading the civil society campaign on the Secrecy Bill, but its work has expanded to tackle broader issues relating to access to information, freedom of expression, and the free flow of information.
The Right2Know Campaign seeks to appoint an Access to Information Organiser to be based in South Africa.
The Organiser will support efforts to enable participatory democracy, demanding transparency and meaningful engagement with the public and private sectors on issues ranging from challenging nuclear secrets and protecting personal information of social grant recipients, to supporting struggles for land and basic services.
The successful candidate will coordinate efforts to enable participatory democracy, demanding transparency and meaningful engagement with the public and private sectors on issues ranging from challenging nuclear secrets and protecting personal information of social grant recipients, to supporting struggles for land and basic services.
This is an opportunity to work with committed activists around the country to have a real impact on the challenges facing South Africa at this critical period in our democracy.
- Support R2K activist collectives and local community groups and social movements to develop and implement strategies to force greater transparency in the public and private sector
- Forge working partnerships between local organisations and specialised organisations within the R2K working on issues of access to information and service delivery
- Prepare briefings, statements, formal correspondence and policy submissions for the Campaign on transparency and access-to-information issues
- Represent the Campaign in various fora
- Undertake research
- Develop popular education material and leading training events
- A relevant tertiary qualification or at least three years’ relevant experience
- Legal status to work in South Africa
- Commitment to the democratic principles of the R2K Campaign
- An understanding of issues relating to participatory democracy and access to information
- Previous experience in advocacy, campaigning and movement building
- Written/verbal communication skills with multilingualism being an advantage
- Ability to self-manage and multi-task, pay attention to detail, planning, organising and time management
- Strong computer skills essential (MS Word, MS Excel, E-mail and Internet)
- Ability to maintain good working relationship and work with volunteer activists in flexible team environments is a necessity
- Driver’s license, code 8, is essential
To apply upload a cover letter and CV with contactable references using this form https://tinyurl.com/R2K-InfoAccess-Application
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
We will consider candidates wanting to work from R2K offices in Johannesburg, Durban or Cape Town.
Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
R2K reserves the right not to make an appointment,
For more about the Right2Know Campaign, refer to www.r2k.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies