The Siyazisiza Trust
The Siyazisiza Trust, founded in 1987, is a registered nonprofit, public benefit organisation committed to assisting rural communities in, currently but not limited to, northern KwaZulu-Natal, currently, but not limited to, food security and agricultural and craft enterprise development.
The Siyazisiza Trust seeks to appoint a Rural Economic Development Officer to be based in KwaZulu Natal.
The successful candidate will actively engage and provide support to identified rural communities in the realisation of sustainable food security and agricultural livelihoods opportunities.
This position will include the participative planning, development, coordination, implementation and monitoring of agricultural projects as determined by Siyazisiza Trust. These projects will be applied by using asset-based community development practices and working collaboratively with key regional stakeholders.
These projects will involve rural marginalised communities within the Nkandla & Msinga Local Municipality regions.
Whilst the post-holder will be responsible for activities within their assigned region, the management team may assign him/her to specific funded programmes. This assignment will take priority and may involve working outside of their region.
This position is initially based upon 12-month contract linked to specific donor funding. Depending on funding availability and performance there is potential for an extension of this contract.
- To provide initial support and assistance in the start-up and operation or agricultural projects:
- Explore and design effective, cost-efficient methods for the transport of produce to market
- Support the development of relationships with potential produce buyers
- Identify market demands and explore means to meet this demand
- Providing guidance on appropriate health and safety practices
- Installation and demonstration of infrastructure and equipment
- Providing guidance on best practice and, in the case of agriculture, suggestions on suitable cultivars
- Undertake relevant business management and technical training
- Undertake quality control of produce
- Establishment and mentoring of accountable record-keeping systems
- Assist in the distribution and installation of materials and equipment to projects
- To increase the sustainability and independence of existing agricultural projects within the post-holder’s relevant region:
- Keep abreast of developments within the agricultural sector to identify any future opportunities and challenges
- Explore opportunities to develop linkages with other similar projects in the region
- Support the identification and establishment of sustainable market linkages
- Facilitating the development of environmental awareness and appropriate practices
- Identify the need for further relevant business management and technical training and conduction thereof if required
- To establish and build the capacity of community-based cooperatives
- Continue to monitor the operation of the cooperatives and provide training or mentoring as and when it is required
- Assist in the opening of bank accounts and accountable governance structures and systems
- Facilitate the creation of the cooperative constitution
- Provide training on the principles of cooperatives and how they operate
- To effectively uphold and support the organisation’s monitoring and evaluation systems
- To support and comply with the organisation's Policies and Procedures
- To undertake other duties which may arise from time to time as requested by the Field Management Team
To apply, contact email@example.com to request a full job description and application form.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about Siyazisiza Trust, refer to www.siyazisiza.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies