Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation (CSVR)
The Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation (CSVR) is a non-governmental organisation which envisions societies that are peaceful, equal and free from violence. CSVR aims to understand and prevent violence, heal its effects and build sustainable peace at community, national and regional levels. We do this through collaboration with and learning from the lived and diverse experiences of communities affected by violence and conflict to inform innovative interventions, generate knowledge, shape public discourse, influence policy, hold states accountable and promote gender equality, social cohesion and active citizenship.
CSVR seeks to appoint two Research Fellows to be based in Johannesburg or Cape Town.
The positions will entail a full-time, one-year contract.
This is year positions are most suitable for recent graduates looking to expand their working experience, and the contracts will begin in January 2018.
The successful candidate will work as part of the CSVR’s Research Programme on the African Comparative Transitional Justice and/or the Urban Violence Prevention programme.
- Conduct research, including literature reviews, country case studies, comparative analysis, desktop research, basic quantitative and qualitative analysis and reporting
- Write minutes, editing and proofreading
- Write short articles and research briefs
- Assist with website and social media updates
- Assist with general organisational administration
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Humanities or Law, or an Honour’s degree with extensive work experience
- Applicants should be South African citizens or Permanent Residents of South Africa
- Research interests in violence prevention, transitional justice, social justice and human rights
- Fast learner and ability to work independently
- Microsoft Office skills
- Office administration skills
- Basic quantitative and qualitative skills
- Writing skills
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team
- Interpersonal and communication skills
To apply, submit one-page letter of motivation, two-page CV and names of two references, indicating the position you are applying for in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CSVR reserves the right not to make an appointment.
For more about the Centre for the Study of Violence and Reconciliation, refer to www.csvr.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies