(6 Month Contract)
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology- creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
FHI 360, through funding from USAID, under the Capacity Development and Support (CDS) program is implementing the DREAMS: School-Based HIV and Violence Prevention Program in the City of Johannesburg. The program is aimed at supporting South African Government to reduce HIV infections in learners and educators by providing technical assistance to the Department of Basic Education (DBE) to implement high quality, evidence-based and comprehensive sexuality and HIV prevention education programs.
FHI 360 seeks to hire 12 Educator Trainers to conduct training activities working in the City of Johannesburg (CoJ) in the following DREAMS sub-districts.
|District||Sub-District||Gauteng Department of Education districts||Areas to be covered||Number of Educator Trainers|
|City of Johannesburg||Region A||Johannesburg North
||Diepsloot, Kya Sands, Midrand, Lanseria, Fourways and Dainfern||4|
|Alexandra, Wynberg, Sandton, Orange Grove and Houghton||3|
|Orange Farm, Weilers Farm, Ennerdale, Lenasia, Eldorado Park and Protea South||5|
The Educator Trainer/s will work closely with the District Coordinators to conduct training activities in each of the sub-districts indicated. The Educator Trainer/s may also be called upon to assist with supporting (mentoring and coaching) educators after the training and during implementation of the sexuality education activities. It is anticipated that training activities and follow-up support to educators will run between 01 November 2017 until 31 March 2018. The Educator Trainer/s will report to the FHI 360 District Coordinator at the district level and the Technical Manager in Pretoria.
Scope of Work:
The Educator Trainer/s will work with FHI 360 District Coordinators to conduct training activities and follow-up support for educators on comprehensive Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education. To this end, the Educator Trainer/s will be expected to:
- Undergo a two-day orientation on the Scripted Lesson plans training programme for the implementation of Sexuality Education that is aligned to the Life Orientation Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statement (CAPS).
- Work with the CDS Technical Team to plan and conduct trainings on comprehensive sexuality and HIV prevention program for the Life Orientation Subject Educators, Head of Departments (HOD), School Management Teams (SMTs) and School Governing Bodies (SGBs).
- Take part in a debriefing exercise of the training with FHI 360, CDS staff and Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) officials.
- Facilitate one-day orientation for School Governing Bodies on comprehensive Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education.
- Facilitate one-day orientation for the School Senior Management Teams (School Principal + Head of Department / Subject Advisor) on comprehensive Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education.
- Facilitate presentation in School Meetings for schools for parents on comprehensive Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education.
- Facilitate two-day mentoring and coaching training for Head of Department / Subject Advisor on comprehensive Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education.
- Facilitate five-day training for Life Orientation Educators on Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) Scripted Lesson Plans (SLPs) implementation in Grade 7, 8 and 9. (2 x LO educators will be trained for each primary school and 3 x for each secondary school).
- Work with FHI 360 Regional Coordinators to support implementation of comprehensive Sexuality and HIV prevention Education activities through mentoring and coaching of Life Orientation Educators.
- Compile and submit detailed report and attendance registers on each of the training and mentoring activities conducted.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree or recognised Post Graduate Diploma in Education with 3 - 5 years’ relevant experience
- Registration with South African Council for Educators (SACE) is required
- Experience in training Educators in Comprehensive Sexuality Education and/or HIV prevention education; additional experience training health or other sector workers and/or training of communities in health and HIV prevention will be beneficial
- Knowledge on DBE HIV prevention policies and frameworks, including Sexuality Education
- Ability to deliver specified curriculum
- Excellent presentation skills
- Strong professional acumen and judgment
- Computer literate with experience using MS Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Fluency in English required, fluency in other South African languages desired
- Eligibility to work in South Africa
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
Interested qualified candidates who are eligible to work in South Africa are requested to submit their CV and cover letter to https://www.fhi360.org/careers, closing 3 November 2017. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.