Action Volunteers Africa, a youth development NGO based in Wynberg, Cape Town, uses volunteering as a tool to unlock the potential of youth. AVA recruits, trains and places unemployed youth in full-time volunteering positions in NGOs, SMMEs & schools. Through sustained volunteering and AVA’s unique training and personal development programme, youth gain experience, develop confidence and self-awareness and the networks needed to build sustainable futures.
AVA is currently seeking to appoint an experienced and emotionally intelligent
who sees the value of personal growth and self-development for themselves, their team and the volunteers, and who has also done extensive work on themselves. The successful candidate will be someone who is able to recognise the potential in youth who have often grown up under difficult circumstances, but are willing to work hard and take responsibility for building their own brighter futures.
Reporting to the AVA Board, the Executive Director will be responsible for leading and inspiring the AVA team in a united mission to ensure that AVA’s young beneficiaries from under-resourced communities are supported to reach their potential through volunteering.
The key performance areas of the ED include:
- Providing strategic direction and vision
- Fundraising and building and maintaining relationships and successful working partnerships with donors and other stakeholders
- Financial oversight and guidance of the organisation
- Leading, motivating and building the AVA staff as a whole as well as directly managing the senior managers
- Creating and identifying a platform from which AVA can continue to leverage innovative and unique opportunities
- Communicating, upholding and promoting the vision and mission of AVA to all stakeholders including the AVA Board, donors, volunteers, staff and beneficiaries
Key requirements for this position include:
- Extensive experience in successfully leading an organisation, preferably within the field of youth development
- Creative complex problem-solving skills and the ability to both multitask and prioritise
- The ability to oversee and prudently manage the financial and governance responsibilities of an organisation
- A successful track record in fundraising and the ability to network at the highest level and build lasting relationships with donors, government, NGO and corporate stakeholders
- Ability to deliver high quality reports to tight deadlines and hold the team to the same standard
- Excellent facilitation and personal engagement skills and the ability to engage authentically with all stakeholders
- An entrepreneurial spirit and the vision to spot innovative opportunities and solutions
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Monday 30th October 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org