ProBono.Org is a dynamic nonprofit organisation that works with the private legal profession to provide pro bono legal services to the poor, and contributes to ensuring that the unmet access to justice needs of impoverished people living in South Africa are met.
Probono.Org seeks to appoint a Legal Intern to be based in Cape Town.
This position requires the incumbent to support and work with the Regional Director to ensure the wellbeing of ProBono.Org in Cape Town.
- Interview persons seeking legal assistance or anyone acting on their behalf
- Assess matters in terms of the ProBono.Org criteria
- Consult with ProBono.Org Staff Attorneys on the best strategy for dealing with matters, such as direct assistance, litigation, mediation or another form of legal intervention
- Prepare detailed briefs, memos and instructions for legal practitioners in matters that require pro bono legal assistance
- Manage all matters from time of consultation until such matter is closed or referred to an Attorney or Advocate
- Maintain, build and enhance strong relationships with NGOs, CBOs, law clinics and other pro bono and public interest law initiatives
- Write reports on matters to be used as part of ProBono.Org’s reporting and communication functions, including Facebook and Twitter
- Attend workshops and seminars on behalf of ProBono.Org
- Facilitate community and Attorney workshops on behalf of ProBono.Org.
- Conduct research and handling other details in preparation of matters, where necessary.
- An appropriate law qualification, (LLB) with some practical experience
- Knowledge of SA’s socio-economic environment and how it impacts on legal justice
- A demonstrable commitment to and interest in public interest law and social justice
- Proactive attitude, with enthusiasm for ProBono.Org’s mission and vision
- Proficiency in English and isiXhosa
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills
- Drafting, writing and editing skills
- Computer literate (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point)
- Valid Driver’s License and driving experience preferred (not required)
- Currently based in Cape Town
To apply, submit a motivational letter and CV with certified copies of qualifications to Uzair@probono.org.za
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Applications, which do not comply with the above, will not be considered.
For more about ProBono.Org, refer to www.probono.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies