Natural Justice is a young and fast-paced nonprofit organisation specialising in human rights and environmental law.
Natural Justice seeks to appoint a Programmes Officer for Extractives and Infrastructure, Climate Change to be based in South Africa.
Travel: Occasional international and national travel and will be expected
Start date: Immediately
Salary: A competitive salary commensurate with skill and experience
Report to: Natural Justice team in Cape Town and the Director of the Extractives and Infrastructure Programme
Duration: Contract length will be for an initial period of eight months, to coincide with the project term, but with the intention of a longer-term arrangement
Climate Change Programme is undertaking research on ecosystem based approaches to climate change and seeking to understand the applicable international and African legal frameworks and how these are being applied in the South African context.
The Programmes Officer will undertake the research in South Africa, as well as provide technical advice to affected groups when required.
The Officer will develop a research report to investigate the various strategies being used in South Africa to mitigate the impacts of extractives and infrastructure projects
- Developing a research methodology
- Conducting desktop and field research with affected groups, government, NGOs and other relevant stakeholders
- Assessing the compliance of extractives and infrastructure projects with regional and national laws and regulations
- Leading a legal review of laws and policies in ecosystem based approaches to climate change
- Participate in the identification of legal empowerment strategies used to mitigate impacts of extractives and climate change
- Delivering presentations and conducting workshops, particularly with affected groups
- Provide technical advice to affected groups; write research reports, concept documents, academic papers, organisational reports
- Sharing research findings with stakeholders and at relevant national and international fora
- An undergraduate degree in law or other relevant social science discipline
- At least three years’ work expertise in environmental law, including natural resource and/or land law
- Experience with conducting primary and/or desktop research and preparing clear and analytical reports (preferably proof of published work)
- Experience conducting field research and working with communities
- Experience with relating national policy research to policy advocacy
- Experience in identifying implications of policies and laws for marginalised communities or groups
- Understanding of, and proficiency in, the South African legal system and institutional arrangements
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including through online platforms
- Resident of South Africa with a valid work permit, which, at the very least, will remain valid for the duration of the engagement
- Fluency in English
Desirable qualifications, experience and attributes
- A postgraduate degree in law or equivalent degree
- Demonstrated experience working with communities and/or civil society organisations or networks, particularly in South Africa
- Working experience with South African mining legal frameworks
- A strong knowledge of one or more of the official languages of South Africa (other than English)
- Keen interest in and commitment to advancing the rights of minority/indigenous communities, particularly in relation to their territories, areas and natural resources
- Ability to work both in teams and independently, with little supervision
- Willingness to travel on a regular basis, and work with local organisations and communities in remote areas
- Ability to communicate complex legal issues in an accessible way to communities
To apply, submit your application to Gino Cocchiaro firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the job title in the subject line.
- Motivation letter that indicates why you feel you are the best candidate for this position
- Detailed CV with three references
- Maximum three samples of your past work (for example, articles or research reports).
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Ensure that your application as a whole speaks to the required skills and experience and desirable traits and attributes listed above.
This position is a re-advertisement and previous applicants may re-apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more about Natural Justice, refer to www.naturaljustice.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies