Western Cape Forum for Intellectual Disability (WCFID)
The Western Cape Forum for Intellectual Disability (WCFID) is a support network for service providers in the field of intellectual disability (ID). The WCFID was originally established in 1971, starting out as a small group of concerned parents and individuals involved with persons with ID.
WCFID seeks to appoint an Advocacy Officer to be based in Cape Town.
This is a three year part-time contract post (20 hrs per week, with flexibility), funding dependent.
Start date: January 2018, if not earlier
The position requires a graduate with an interest in human rights, and preferably knowledge in special education and disability.
- A degree in law / social sciences or similar with a minimum of 10 years of work experience in social justice advocacy
- A strong commitment to human rights
- Strong project management skills including data collection, analysis and management skills
- Communication skills and an ability to network within relevant government networks
- Policy and research experience with an ability to put across complex issues in simple, understandable methods is required
- Sound knowledge and understanding of key issues in the area of human rights, disability and education
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the broader development and political context in South Africa
- Thorough knowledge of the SA Constitution as well as Government precepts, regulations and laws
- An ability to work independently and within a team
- Ability to travel within WC and nationally (minimal)
- Fluency in English and isiXhosa / Afrikaans, spoken and written
- Interest in community development
- Ability and willingness to engage with staff of community based educational centres
- Organisational and administrative skills including computer literacy
- Driver’s license
- Willingness to handle / address a range of duties
To apply, submit your two-page CV with three contactable references to email@example.com or fax to The Director, WCFID 021 510 4687.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
WCFID reserves the right to re-advertise this post should a suitable candidate not be found.
CV’s longer than two-pages will be discarded.
Form about Western Cape Forum for Intellectual Disability, refer to www.wcfid.co.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies