Launched in 2000, Takalani Sesame is the South African adaptation of Sesame Street, a multi-media early childhood education program addressing a range of early educational needs from literacy, math, life skills, and HIV awareness, to instilling in children a greater sense of self and nurturing their readiness for lifelong learning.
With almost two decades of successful and impactful programs in South Africa, we are seeking a Director who can support a new long-term vision to:
- build Takalani Sesame into a sustainable program to ensure long-term presence of Sesame Workshop in the country, including identifying new business models and securing partners,
- envision, shape and guide program growth in a way that maximizes benefits to children, harnesses the full potential of the Takalani Sesame brand and offerings, and capitalizes on digital possibilities,
- lead Sesame Workshop’s diverse activities in South Africa that reach children with quality programming and early education activities, and
- support the efforts to expand Sesame Workshop’s footprint throughout the Southern Africa region to reach and impact future generations.
- BA degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 10 years of experience in non-profit or socially-oriented for-profit entity, with a proven track record of generating new revenue streams and launching new initiatives. 3+ years at Director level.
- In-depth experience in South Africa and the region is essential, international experience highly desired.
- Proven experience as a self-starter who can work independently with limited resources and staff to achieve results; entrepreneurial spirit.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Persuasive, credible, and polished communicator in writing and in-person.
- Proven coalition-building skills with an ability to balance, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in program management: timeline, workflow, finances, operations. Can deliver results and outcomes on strict deadlines.
- Understanding of media ecosystem desired: TV, radio, mobile broadcast, production.
- Familiarity with digital media ecosystem desired: web & mobile media platforms, social media, socially-driven technology innovation.
Desired knowledge areas:
- early childhood education/health space
- brand management & licensing
- Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with demonstrated passion for Sesame Workshop's mission.
- Willingness to travel regularly, domestically and internationally; and to work across multiple time zones.
Suitably qualified and experienced South African candidates are invited to apply by emailing a CV and covering letter, describing your interest and qualification for the position, to email@example.com. The closing date for applications is 25 October 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted