Bhekisisa Centre for Health Journalism
Bhekisisa focuses on solutions-based journalism, whether in news stories and analysis that help turn over our website traffic daily, or in narrative features that have become a trademark of our brand. Bhekisisa also hosts critical thinking forums on social justice issues and conducts health journalism trainings.
Bhekisisa seeks to appoint an Engagement and Collaborations Officer to be based in Johannesburg.
This position will report to Bhekisisa’s director and news editor and regular travel may be required.
The officer will spearhead creative, innovative methods to translate our stories for a range of non-traditional and targeted audiences as well as capacity-building and engagement initiatives rooted in specific communities.
- Produce daily and varied social media content to promote Bhekisisa content, drive web traffic and promote engagement across platforms. This content should include live publishing when appropriate. This will include keeping abreast of changes to social media platforms and adjusting the strategy accordingly
- Design community engagement initiatives and events inspired by Bhekisisa’s reporting with groups such as policy makers, readers and grassroots communities
- Organise and conceptualise critical thinking forums on health-related subjects
- Work with journalists to develop story-specific engagement/campaign strategies, mapping out key audience/pressure points to affect change
- Build and grow relationships with local partners and look for new collaborative opportunities
- Track Bhekisisa impact - locally, nationally, online etc.
- Compile regular reports tracking social media and online metrics, both for internal consumption and donor reports and create and publish documentation on Bhekisisa initiatives and measure their impact
- Manage timelines and deliverables for engagement initiatives and collaborations
- Work on projects that bring artists and journalists together to create new venues for journalism, such as hosting listening sessions with newsrooms and their communities to identify areas for collaboration and help create new models for public engagement around narrative health reporting
- Design inventive engagement and impact strategies while helping to monitor Bhekisisa’s impact via software and innovative tools they design
- A journalism degree or a degree in a related field
- At least three years of experience working in a newsroom or community-based organisation
- Experience managing complex professional relationships and partnerships between organisations or community groups
- Exceptional communication skills
- Direct experience organising and facilitating events
- An active social media presence and understanding of different social media platforms, as well as social media scheduling tools such as Hootsuite or TweetDeck
- Ability to facilitate difficult conversations
- Understanding of how to build relationships with partners, local stakeholders and communities of interest, both online and off
- Writing and language skills, including spelling and grammar, and attention to detail; ability to speak two or more official languages preferred
- Demonstrated community management experience across popular social media platforms, i.e. including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Experience with additional platforms is an advantage
- Self-starter, has big ideas and knows what it takes to guide healthy, efficient collaborations
- This role is equal parts community organiser, listener, instructor, partnerships manager and creative adviser
- Ability to juggle a variety of ongoing projects and look for ways to tie them together
- Must thrive on experimentation with a team spirit – someone who likes to stay organised and on track but is open to serendipity and exploring opportunities outside the box
To apply, submit your application form to email@example.com
Download an application form here Fill out this form
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Those who do not hear back within four weeks of their application should consider their applications unsuccessful.
For more about Bhekisisa Centre for Health Journalism, refer to www.bhekisisa.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies