ActionAid South Africa
ACTIONAID South Africa
WOMEN’S RIGHTS OFFICER
Type of contract: Open Ended Contact
A total cost to company package starting at R192’600 per annum is offered
Action Aid (AA) is a global movement of people working together to further human rights for all and end poverty.
ActionAid South Africa (AASA) is a country programme of ActionAid International, a federation of 47 country programmes around the world working to end global poverty and inequality. AASA has a vibrant and rapidly expanding programmes team.
AASA required the services of a Women’s Rights Officer who will support the work of the WR unit broadly, and specifically the Project Coordinators who manage donor funded projects. The post will also involve supporting the work of the WR unit in all LRPs.
Main duties and responsibilities may include, but not limited to:
- Plan and implement campaigns within the WR unit in conjunction with the comms and campaigns coordinator.
- Ensures project relates to women’s rights and gender justice
- Support project managers with activity implementation, planning and reporting
- Support the Women’s rights team on LRP visits and assist with workshops
- Prepare Implement capacity building assessment and training activities processes
- Undertake advocacy work and communication coordination
- Develop/lead initiative that aim to promote feminist leadership in allied movements and partner organisations
- Liaise & manage communication with LRP partners and staff
- Manage set-up of PAT meeting and record minutes for all donor funded projects
- Participate in programmes meeting and attend PMT meetings where required by PMS
- Contribute the political education and policy development process of AASA.
- Provide support in broader agenda of the Women’s Rights unit and the programmes team
- Supports in the dissemination of women’s rights policies and activities to partners and community members
- Builds the capacity of other staff and partners on women’s rights policies, procedures and activities
- Produce information briefs on LRP visits
- Works with LRPpartner(s) to develop and fund community annual development plans and budgets
- Degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies or related field
- At least 3 years’ experience in social justice work
- At least 2-3 years’ experience community development programmes
The ideal candidate should have the following experiences:
- Ability to write concise and accurate reports to agreed deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and communication skills in English and local languages
- Proficiency in the use of standard computer software, especially Microsoft Office
- Ability and preparedness to travel and work in difficult conditions
- Negotiation skills
- Clean and valid driver’s license
- Commitment to ActionAid International’s mission, vision and values as well as relief and development work.
- Experience/Knowledge of the civil society / international NGO environment would be an advantage
- Has personal direction and is not easily side-tracked by details or workload.
Behavioural Competencies and skills:
- Motivated self-starter with initiative, flexibility and enthusiasm
- Proactive communicator, able to build relationships and provide support across a range of work areas
- Good organisational and time management skills and the ability to work on a number of projects at once
- Attracts, motivates and develops employees
- Trouble shooting and problem solving
- Strong cross cultural awareness, able to work effectively with diverse working styles
Please send your CV and a one page motivation letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Saturday, 30 September 2017. You are requested to highlight in the cover letter how you specifically meet the criteria for this role. Please indicate in the subject line of your email the position you are applying for.
Only South African citizens or individuals with permanent residency should apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not have received feedback within two weeks of the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful.
ActionAid South Africa will not consider unsolicited candidates from recruitment agencies.
ActionAid South Africa reserves the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time.