Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC)
EDC, with funding from USAID, is implementing the South Africa School-Based Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education Activity, a 5-year contract (currently in year 3) that will support the South African Government to reduce HIV infections in students and teachers by assisting the Department of Basic Education to implement high quality, evidence-informed sexuality and HIV prevention education programs.
EDC is a global non-profit organization that designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Working with public sector and private partners, we harness the power of people and systems to improve education, health promotion and care, workforce preparation, communications technologies, and civic engagement. Founded in 1958, EDC’s headquarters are located in Waltham, Massachusetts, USA with additional offices in New York City and Washington, DC, Nairobi and Bangkok. EDC implements projects in over 35 countries with more than 1,300 employees worldwide.
EDC is seeking to hire 15 Consultant Educator Trainers on a consultancy basis to be recruited from and working in the following provinces and districts:
|Province||DBE District/Sub-District||# of Consultant Educator Trainers|
|Gauteng||City of Johannesburg (Johannesburg Central & North)||1|
|Western Cape||City of Cape Town (Metro East )||2|
The Consultant Educator Trainer will work with the existing EDC Provincial Operations Managers to conduct training activities in each of the districts as indicated. The Consultant Educator Trainer may also be called upon to assist with supporting educators after the training and collecting data from schools and in collaboration with the trained educators to report to DBE and USAID. It is anticipated that training activities and follow-up support to educators will run between October 2017 and April 2018. The Consultant Educator Trainer will report to the EDC Provincial Operations Manager at the Province and the Technical Program Director in Pretoria.
Scope of Work:
The Consultant Educator Trainer will be called upon as needed to assist the EDC Provincial Operations Manager conduct training activities and follow-up support for educators on Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education implementation at the schools level. To this end, the Consultant Educator Trainer will be expected to:
- Undergo a two-day orientation on the training programme.
- Work with the Provincial Operations Manager to plan and conduct the training.
- Take part in a debriefing exercise of the training with EDC staff and DBE.
- Submit a report on each of the training activities conducted.
- Work with the EDC Provincial Operations Managers to support educators after training.
- Collect data from schools for reporting purposes.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or equivalent with two to three years relevant experience
- Experience in training teachers in sexuality and/or HIV prevention education; additional experience training health or other sector workers and/or training of communities in health and HIV prevention will be beneficial
- Knowledge of Sexuality Education
- Experience in HIV Prevention activities
- Ability to perform challenging and complex work
- Strong professional acumen and judgment
- Computer literate with experience using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Proficiency in English required and an ability to speak at least one local South African language
- Eligibility to work in South Africa
Application and contact details:
The competitive salary and currency will follow EDC’s policies for South Africa. This is not a posted position and no relocation will be provided. Candidates must be eligible to work in South Africa. Interested qualified candidates who are eligible to work in South Africa are requested to submit their CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 21st September 2017. To ensure the timely review of your credentials, please insert “Consultant Educator Trainer” (and the district in which you are applying) in the subject line of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, and competitive remuneration