Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation (DTHF)
The Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation (DTHF) is a registered nonprofit organisation focused on the pursuit of excellence in research, treatment, training and prevention of HIV and related infections in Southern Africa.
DTHF seeks to appoint a HCT Counsellor to be based in Cape Town.
This full-time one year fixed-term contract position.
The mobile units aim to test innovative ways to provide HCT to people in the Cape Metro Area, by providing counselling and education and rapid HIV testing for clients.
- Providing welcoming and supportive environment to clients regardless of race, gender, or HIV status
- HIV testing
- Providing pre and post-test counselling, as well as risk reduction counselling, if necessary
- Provide basic HIV / ARV education to clients individually and in groups
- Provide basic STI / TB / HYPERTENSION / DIABETES education to clients individually and in groups
- Provide a high quality testing
- Provide lifestyle and risk reduction counselling
- Participate in the implementation of research / study’s
- Follow up positive clients telephonically or if required, conduct a home visit to ensure linkage into care
- Attend to project administration and general Mobile Services activities as and when required
- Accurate and complete questionnaire administration
- Follow-up telephone calls with HIV positive clients that were counselled
- Entering client data onto database via cell phone / computer
- Assist with recruiting patients for testing on the Tutu Tester
- Assist with community surveys
- Assist with filing research forms and patient files
- Maintain strict client confidentiality
- Capturing study data on mobile app
- Work requires definite skilled and accurate physical operations requiring some closely coordinated performance
- Work requires handling heavy materials or equipment with no special speed or exertion
- Grade 12
- HCT Pre and post counselling course or relevant HCT experience (including finger prick HIV testing)
- One to two years’ experience in similar role in the health sector
- Previous experience in a research environment will be advantageous
- Strong background in Health Education
- A valid Driver’s License will be advantageous
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) proficiency
- Fluency in English, Xhosa advantageous
- Verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and to maintain effectiveness during changing conditions
- Willing to think laterally and take initiative
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Planning and organising skills
- Must be detail orientated and have an interest in research
- Willingness to travel and work irregular hours, including weekends
To apply, quote Job reference, submit CV, motivation letter with certified copy of highest qualification and details of three current contactable referees to: Attention HR Manager Jobs@hiv-research.org.za quoting Job reference: #DTHF/C102.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
DTHF is committed to equity in our employment practices.
It is with intention to appoint individuals with the aim of meeting our equity objectives.
DTHF reserve the right not to appoint if no suitable candidates are identified.
This job may be removed before it expires.
If you are a foreign national applying for this position, please attach a copy of your work permit to your application.
If you do not receive a response within two weeks after the closing date, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation is a child friendly organisation committed to the protection of children.
For more about the Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation, refer to www.desmondtutuhivfoundation.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies