It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
WaterAid Zambia is looking for a Head of Programme Operations and Funding, based in Lusaka, to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone in Zambia by 2030.
As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) of WaterAid Zambia (WAZ), the role of Head of Programme Operations and Funding is responsible for:
- Strategic planning, development, management and delivery of sustainable, integrated Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programmes through fostering modelling-driven innovation
- Leading on programme planning, development, effectiveness, quality assurance, learning and impact in the Country Programme (CP)
- Leading fundraising initiatives through development of high quality, coherent and feasible fundraising proposals and budgets, management of all donor relationships and ensuring compliance with grant requirements
To be successful, you’ll need:
- Master’s Degree or higher, preferably in a discipline directly or closely related to WASH, such as Water Resources, Engineering, Development Management, Social Sciences, Environmental Health or Public Health
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ development and management experience and at least three (3) of which should be in a senior management position in reputed international or national non-governmental organization (NGO)
- Experience in development of strategy and operational plans
- Experience of developing key strategic and operational partnerships at different levels (NGOs, donors, government) for programme operations and funding interventions
- Ability to attract and secure new funds and develop and review funding proposals
- Full commitment to WaterAid’s vision, mission and values and a way of working that demonstrates this, with the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others
- Solid understanding of WASH, preferably in Southern Africa
The role will require some travel in-country, as well as infrequent trips across the region and some internationally.
Please download the full job description here
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation across the various countries where we work.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV, via email to ZambiaCareers@wateraid.org using “Head of Programme Operations and Funding” as the subject.
Please provide details of at least three relevant references and clearly indicate details of your current remuneration package. Although we would prefer Zambian candidates, we are prepared to relocate a candidate outside of Zambia, provided that we are able to obtain a valid work permit.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications. No recruitment agencies please.