Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS)
The Social Entrepreneurship Programme (SEP) is a middle-management training programme, aimed at those who want to make a difference. The course takes excellence in business thinking and applies it to the social development space.
SEP is divided into four training blocks across the following themes:
1. Creating change;
2. Sustaining change financially;
3. Sustaining change operationally; and
4. Scaling change.
Each module consists of: theory (reading and lectures); context (case studies, guest speakers, etc.) and integration (syndicate work, assignments, and projects). It is important to note that there is constant assessment on this programme and students will have to complete pre-reading, pre-block assessments and post-block assignments. The programme content is pitched equivalent to NQF level 7, however is not SAQA accredited due to the nature of the programme and the limitations that surround the accreditation rules.
SEP subjects include:
What is Social Entrepreneurship; Action Learning Project; Strategy; Monitoring and Evaluation; Scaling; Marketing; Financial Strategy ; Systems Thinking; Finding Funding; Governance and Legal Frameworks; BBBEE; Managing for High Performance (HR); Innovative Entrepreneurship; Project Management
Dates: February – December 2018
Frequency: Delegates will attend +/- four, four-day modules at the GIBS campus. Kindly note there is syndicate group work done throughout the year which you will be required to meet with your group on a regular basis to work on assignments and attend feedback sessions that are excluded from the actual programme days.
Assessments: Written assignments, action learning project and exams (all contribute to the overall year end mark)
Attendance: 100% attendance is required in order to graduate from the programme.
Fee: R36 000 (inclusive of tuition, learning materials, programme meals and is VAT exempt).
2018 compulsory dates are below:
Orientation: 9 February 2018 from 08h00 – 18h00
Block 1: 20-24 Feb (Block one will consist of 5 days 08h00 – 18h00)
Block 2: 18-21 April
Block 3: 25-28 July
Block 4: 19-22 Sept
- ALP Workshop - 17 April 08h30 – 17h30
- ALP presentations - 10 November
- Mid-year exam – 09 June 2018, 08h30 – 12h00
- Final exam – 1 December from, 08h30 – 12h00
Graduation: Takes place March/ April the following year
Apply: Limited spaces are filled on a rolling basis. Please note the above dates and time may change and an updated schedule will be sent a week before the start of the programme confirming all details.
Apply from 1 September at www.gibs.co.za/sep
This programme is highly oversubscribed and applicants are advised to apply early.
Application closing date – 19th January
For enquiries contact Suvera Dukhi at firstname.lastname@example.org or on +27 (0)11 771 4261.
The flagship SE programme of the GIBS Entrepreneurship Development Academy, the Social Entrepreneurship Programme (SEP), is designed to blend world-class business expertise with the complexities of social change. It is designed for leaders who are looking for the skills, tools and resources needed to build and run an effective social enterprise. Classes provide a platform for passionate debate and a space where the diverse worlds of entrepreneurs, NGOs, business and government meet.
How you will benefit
As an SEP delegate you will:
- Develop insights into the complex challenges of social change, financial sustainability and innovation;
- Build a deeper understanding of strategy, leadership and governance;
- Deepen your skills in finance, operations and management;
- Ensure practical application of theoretical ideas to your work; and
- Have an increased ability to devise and implement long-lasting solutions.
Who should attend?
- Non-profit leaders;
- Social entrepreneurs;
- CSI managers;
- BB-BEE and transformation experts;
- Trustees of boards;
- Those working in sustainability;
- Development practitioners;
- Government employees; and
- Funders looking to better understand the emerging social entrepreneurship space.
- Tertiary qualification minimum Diploma
- At least 5 years working experience or owing your own social enterprise/ organisation
- Demonstrated motivation, conceptual skills, and drive
Once registered, you will receive a reference number to confirm your registration and thereafter will be invited for an entrance interview. Once the interview process is completed, you will be notified at a later stage if you have been accepted with an acceptance letter. A R10 000 deposit is required to secure your place on the programme. Please note full payment is required before the commencement of the course.