Numeric is a small team of friendly people who are on a mission to help young South Africans excel in mathematics. More specifically, our goal is to create exciting and high impact learning environments in low income areas with a view to helping learners in Grades 6 - 8 to establish strong foundations in mathematics.
Numeric seeks to appoint a Student Affairs Coordinator for the Numeric Teaching Academy to be based in Cape Town.
The Numeric Teaching Academy trains Maths teachers. More specifically, the Academy recruits talented young graduates into an intensive, one-year PGCE program during which they complete a variety of theoretical and practical activities which prepare them for employment as Maths teachers.
The Student Affairs Coordinator is responsible for supporting fellows throughout their studies at the Academy. The Student Affairs Coordinator facilitates the creation of a learning community from recruitment to alumni connection and ensures that fellows are supported through academic and non-academic experiences at the academy.
Start Date: January 2018 (Flexible)
Contract Type: 12 months (negotiable, subject to renewal)
- Provide ongoing support for 20-30 students through their Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- Coordinate the recruitment for new teaching fellows
- Organise learning opportunities (conferences, guest speakers, outings), support functions (writing support, additional maths tutorials, etc.) and community-building activities for Teaching Fellows
- Liaise with partner schools to place Teaching Fellows into their five-week teaching practicals
- Work with Numeric program managers to support Teaching Fellows in their coaching internships
- Provide operational and administrative support to the Academy and Director of Learning
- Facilitate job placements for teaching fellows
- Manage Numeric Teaching Academy alumni network
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Interest and enthusiasm for mathematics
- A minimum of two years of work experience in the education sector
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple projects and deadlines
- Experience mentoring and/or managing university students
- Creative approach to teaching and learning
- Strong competency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive tools
- Verbal, written and communication skills
- Valid driver’s license and own transport
To apply, submit a CV and a two page letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org with “NTA Student Affairs Coordinator” in the subject line.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Ensure that your cover letter explains your interest in the Numeric Teaching Academy and outlines why you would be well suited to this position.
For more about Numeric, refer to www.numeric.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies