At Numeric is a small team of friendly people who are on a mission to help young South Africans excel in mathematics.
Numeric seeks to appoint a Director of Learning for the Numeric Teaching Academy to be based in Cape Town.
Start date: January 2018 (flexible)
The Numeric Teaching Academy trains Maths teachers. More specifically, the Academy recruits talented young graduates into an intensive, one-year PGCE program during which they complete a variety of theoretical and practical activities which prepare them for employment as Maths teachers. Prospective Teaching Fellows undergo a competitive selection process and, if successful, are awarded full funding for their studies and other expenses, as well as a part-time paid internships in Numeric’s afterschool programs.
The Director of Learning will oversee the academic as well as administrative aspects of this program, supported by the Numeric team and management. The Director of Learning is responsible for driving the mission and vision of the Numeric Teaching Academy and establishing clear academic goals and plans. The Director of Learning is responsible for planning and delivering the curriculum for the year.
- Oversee, teach, mentor, and support 20-30 Numeric Teaching Fellows through their Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- Provide Maths content and pedagogy training to Teaching Fellows (Senior Phase through FET)
- Oversee the placement of Teaching Fellows into their five week teaching practicals
- Work with Numeric Chief Program Manager to support Teaching Fellows in their coaching internships
- Manage operational and administrative requirements of the Academy
- Participate in the recruitment process for new Teaching Fellows
- Track performance of Teaching Fellows both in their UNISA coursework and in Numeric-facilitated training and teaching
- Liaise with experienced parties (teachers, principals, others) to provide additional training and enrichment
- Produce quarterly reports for Numeric management and board
- Teaching qualification (B. Ed, PGCE or equivalent)
- A minimum of five years of maths teaching experience
- Strong understanding of CAPS Senior Phase and FET maths curricula
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple projects and deadlines
- Knowledge of mathematics and mathematics instruction
- Creative approach to teaching and learning
- Strong competency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Verbal, written and communication skills
- Valid driver’s license and own transport
Toa apply, submit your CV and two page letter of motivation to email@example.com quoting “NTA Director of Learning” in the subject line.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Ensure that your cover letter explains your interest in the Numeric Teaching Academy and outlines why you would be well suited to this position.
For more about Numeric, refer to www.numeric.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies