2018-2021 Strategic Plan: Landscape Analysis
Request for Proposals
mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based, global NGO that unlocks the potential of mothers
and their families through scalable, high-impact interventions because
a healthy generation starts with mothers. Our Peer Mentor Approach
has proven to positive health outcomes and reduce mother-to-child transmission rates,
while also creating significant savings through averted HIV treatment costs.
As part of our 2018-2021 Strategic Planning Process, m2m requires a contextual landscape analysis to be conducted for ten countries (two expansion countries, in addition to eight current countries of operation). The landscape analysis is expected to provide a deeper context of key issues in the countries in which m2m operates to assist the organisation in designing our strategy, and positioning current and new programme offerings to maximise impact and growth.
The landscape analysis should provide a framework and key information answering the following broad questions:
- What is the current context in country (demographic, health, economic, and political)?
- According to national and international indicators, what are the key health and health-related issues of the country?
- Who are the major implementers currently operating in each country within our programme scope?
- What does the current funding landscape look like, and where should the organisation look to build relationships?
The audience for the landscape analysis is senior decision makers, including but not limited to:
- The Executive (Senior Management) Team
- Country Directors
- Head Office mid-level managers; and
- Resource Mobilisation Teams.
- Landscape analysis in all three formats (detailed on the next page) for all the current m2m countries (Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, South Africa, Swaziland, Uganda and Zambia); and
- Landscape analysis for four expansion countries (TBD).
Each of the country landscape analyses should include the following sections and provide the audience with:
- Executive Summary (1 page)
- Country Background: An overview of the country’s current position, including but not limited to the social, political and economic situation, and key data points for m2m’s programmes.
- Key Health Challenges: A detailed analysis of progress against the relevant Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s) and UNAIDS 90-90-90 targets for m2m’s clients and across m2m’s current and expected programmes and project lines. The analysis should include heat maps (i.e., tables) to identify the country’s current performance against the targets.
- Funding Environment: An overview of major donors (e.g., bilateral, multilateral, private sector and philanthropic funders) with sector and HIV-specific funding breakdowns. The funding analysis should include a drill down into the key initiatives and funding entities, with focus on U.S. Government (USAID and CDC), EU institutions (such as DFID), and African institutions such as SADC.
- Future Policy Landscape (including Government Strategies): Policy analysis of country- level strategies from key ministries, including the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Youth, etc. This should include stakeholder interviews to understand perception of m2m’s position and value in the landscape.
- Partnerships & Competitors: Identification of potential private-sector and philanthropic investment opportunities and programme partnerships. This is not meant to serve as an in-depth competitor analysis, but should identify key players, and the programme space they operate in for further analysis. This should include stakeholder interviews to understand perception of m2m’s position and value in the landscape.
The landscape analysis’s content should be synthesised into three different formats and lengths to aid stakeholders in utilising the results and sharing the information with their wider team. At the end of the project, each country should have the following:
- A “full-length” document outlining the results and the research conducted;
- A Powerpoint deck providing an overview of the “full length” document (max 30 slides); and
- A “Two-Page Summary” outlining key issues and recommendations.
Components of the landscapes analysis will be submitted on a rolling basis, however, all current countries should be completed by the 30th September 2017, to allow for the content to inform and feed into programme prioritisation discussions. The landscape analysis for expansion countries should be completed by the 14th October 2017.
Please submit an expression of interest letter, and in addition an outline and budget broken by deliverable, with two examples of your work and brief bios of key staff. We will be especially interested in understanding the relationships that you currently hold with the key stakeholders outlined above.
Interested applicants/parties should submissions via https://www.m2m.org/careers/ by 31 August 2017.