Open Democracy Advice Centre (ODAC)
The Open Democracy Advice Centre (ODAC) is a section 21 nonprofit company based in Cape Town. ODAC’s mission is to promote open and transparent democracy; foster a culture of corporate and government accountability; and assist people in South Africa to be able to realise their human rights.
ODAC seek to appoint a Legal to be based in Cape Town.
The Researcher will be required for expert law centre working on access to information, whistleblowing and transparency issues.
This is envisaged as a full-time position, though we are open to discussion with more qualified candidates for part-time (particularly those with project management experience).
The position is available immediately for an initial one-year contract period (with prospects for renewal).
The contract will not include benefits with a total cost-to-company envisaged at R 250 000 to R 290 000, depending on experience.
- To improve the overall research output of ODAC that serves as a central function in ODACs mission
- To make research that informs all our activities, and provides meaningful information and action for the public at large
- Research which relates to the Open Government Partnership and Sustainable Development Goals
- Research which relates to whistleblowing on the African continent
- Research which relates to access to information and transparency issues in South Africa
- Converting all research both into reports with academic rigour, but also into materials for broad consumption
- Litigation and legal advice support
- General activities
- Written skills
- Skills for communicating to variety of audiences
- Post graduate qualification in either law or politics, though law would be preferred
- Strong research abilities and competency in utilising research databases
- Computer literacy
- Ability to travel within and outside South Africa
- Any foreign applicants will need to already have the requisite VISAs and permits to work legally in South Africa
- Strong initiative
- Team player and ability to work independently
- Experience in human rights law, international law and/or governance issues are preferable
- Visual presentation skills
- One year’s work experience in a legal environment will be advantageous
- Innovative thinker
- Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply
- We would strongly encourage more qualified persons to apply, as we are open to discussion for qualified candidates, particularly with project management experience, to work part-time
To apply, submit your CV, covering letter, copy of relevant qualifications, a copy of written work and the contact details of at least three referees to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
ODAC reserves the right to not hire for this position should no suitable candidate apply, or circumstances change which require us to re-advertise with different specifications.
For more about the Community AIDS Response, refer to www.care.co.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies