Soweto Children's Zone (SCZ)
The Soweto Children’s Zone is a PBO registered nonprofit organisation that strive to improve the lives of poor children and their respective families of the previously disadvantaged communities. The key focus areas are as follows: education, health, nutrition, community and protection. The Soweto Children’s Zone founded an educational support programme which aims to fundamentally improve maths, science and accounting subjects for a township learner. The other sub-project ‘engaging children beyond the classroom’ offers unique adventures: creative writing, poetry, reading clubs and hip hop music.
Soweto Children’s Zone seeks to appoint to Tutors to be based in Soweto, Gauteng.
Working hours: Available Tuesdays / Thursdays (15h00 to 17h00) or Saturday between 09h00 to 15h00 pm. Winter School: Every day (Monday to Friday) for the first week of the June/July school holidays and September / October
The tutor will be facilitating the learning environment. Learners bring the material they want to cover (sections of their curriculum with which they are struggling, past tests, exam papers, homework, assignments), and sit in small groups within their grades with the tutors as well as with a grade mentor.
- A minimum of a matric certificate with good pass in English and Mathematics
- University students and Graduates are encouraged to apply
- Strong in one or more of the following school subjects: Mathematics, Physical Science (Physics and Chemistry), English, Accounting, Natural / Life sciences, Business / Economics
- Ability to commit for at least more six months
- Fluency in English
- Personal initiative, courage, leadership and an ability to manage oneself
- Passion for working with young people, a pro-active energy and an outgoing personality will be most suitable for this role
- Demonstrated commitment to making a difference and impacting on the lives of others
- Ability to build positive tutor-learner relationships
- Commitment and punctuality
- Ability to work in a group setting
- Passion for working with young people
- Ability to help learners become self-sufficient
- Live in the Soweto/JHB Region
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about The Soweto Children’s Zone, refer to www.scz.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies