Trade and Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS)
TIPS is a non-profit economic research organisation based in Pretoria, South Africa. The organisation facilitates policy development and dialogue in pursuit of sustainable and inclusive growth. TIPS has three main focus areas: Trade and Industrial Policy, Inequality and Economic Inclusion and Sustainable Growth. Its working model integrates research and analysis, policy development, disseminating information, capacity building, technical support, and programme design and management.
TIPS seeks to appoint an Entry-level Economist / Researcher to be based in Pretoria.
Start date: 2 October 2017 (latest)
A market-related remuneration package will be offered for the position.
- Perform economic research on sustainable growth issues (such as green jobs) under the guidance of project leaders, and providing research input and data analysis to research staff
- Contribute to TIPS’s work on trade and industry, and inequality and economic inclusion
- Liaise with and supporting relevant policy-making entities in South Africa (and elsewhere in the region as appropriate) in line with TIPS's mandate and priorities
- Provide internal content for research, in conjunction with TIPS’s staff on research projects, workshops, events, publications, etc.
- A post-graduate degree in Economics or a related field (Development Studies, Political Science, International Affairs, Environmental Sciences, etc.) with a strong economics component
- Preferably one to two years of experience in policy research and analysis
- A demonstrated interest and expertise in themes related to the sustainable development and industrial development
- Strong writing, editing and presentation skills, with an excellent command of written and spoken English
- Knowledge of national and international developments on economic, social and environmental issues
- Strong computer skills, with a proven ability to manipulate data in Excel and analyse quantitative information
- Pronounced attention to detail and organisation skills
- Ability to work both in a team and independently, as well as in a multicultural and multidisciplinary setting
- Capacity to work under pressure and to adhere strictly to deadlines
- Willingness to learn and do the job, multi-task and be flexible
- Demonstrate an energetic and enthusiastic personality
To apply, send your CV and cover letter as well as a writing sample to Edmore firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Note that only applications containing all documents will be considered.
Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted applicants only.
Candidates who have received no response within three weeks of the closing date should kindly assume that their application has not been successful.
TIPS is an equal opportunity employers and this position will be filled in accordance with current Employment Equity practices.
TIPS seeks to promote diversity among their staff and reserve the right not to fill this position.
For more about Trade and Industrial Policy Strategies, refer to www.tips.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies