South African History Archive (SAHA)
The South African History Archive (SAHA) is an independent human rights archive dedicated to documenting, supporting and promoting greater awareness of past and contemporary struggles for justice through archival practices and outreach, and the utilisation of access to information laws.
SAHA seeks to appoint Intern to be based at SAHA offices, Constitution Hill, Johannesburg.
The candidate must be a South African graduate with a keen interest in activism, struggles for justice and accountability in South Africa.
Start Date: Monday, 4 September 2017.
Interns are expected to work on a full-time basis for at least six months (up to a maximum of 12 months) and will receive a modest monthly stipend for the duration of the internship.
Support Services intern will support SAHA's work through gaining practical experience, within a well-established and respected non-profit organisation, of the following key elements of administrative work:
- Provide general administrative support in the areas of filing, document processing, finance and procurement
- Receive visitors and attend to telephone and email enquiries in a friendly and professional way
- Support the planning and coordination of SAHA workshops and events
- Assist in communication functions, including maintenance of SAHA's website and contacts database
- Accounting as a high school subject and a post-matric qualification
- Command of the English language and at least two other official South African languages is a must
- Have a demonstrable interest in human rights advocacy and constitutional issues and an interest in building a career in civil society in South Africa;
- Be a South African citizen
- Be a recent graduate with no prior full-time work experience - preference will be given to applicants who have not previously benefitted from an internship opportunity within a South African NGO
- Be under 29 years of age
- Hold qualifications and career aspirations that match the requirements of the internship position
- Be able to commit to the internship for 6 months
- Be available to work on some Saturdays and after hours when there are workshops or events
- Be able to plan, prioritise work, meet deadlines, and work independently
- Be systematic and thorough in their approach to work, with excellent attention to detail
- Be competent with Microsoft Office software
To apply, submit the below to firstname.lastname@example.org
- One-page letter of motivation (no more than 500 words) introducing yourself and address why sound administration and support services are vital to the successful functioning of a nonprofit organisation in South Africa
- Letter of motivation, along with a CV (no longer than two pages) and the contact details of at least two referees
- The subject line of your email must include the name of the internship followed by the closing date for applications, and your name - for example – SUPPORT SERVICES INTERNSHIP – 15-08-2017 – JOHN SMITH
- Only complete applications complying with all instructions and submitted through the above email address as directed will be considered
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Interviews will be conducted at the SAHA offices in Johannesburg on 24-25 August 2017
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
To learn more about what previous interns (and volunteers) have said about their time at SAHA, click here
For more about the South African History Archive, refer to www.saha.org