Trade & Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS)
Trade & Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS) is a not-for-profit, research organisation based in Pretoria, South Africa. Established at the request of senior policy-makers of the new South African Government in 1996, the organisation facilitates policy development and dialogue in pursuit of sustainable and inclusive growth in South Africa and the Southern African region. TIPS has three main focus areas: Trade and Industrial Policy, Inequality and Economic Inclusion and Sustainable Growth. Its working model integrates research and analysis, policy development, disseminating information, capacity building, technical support, and programme design and management.
TIPS has two internship opportunities available for recently or about to graduate masters students.
A competitive remuneration package is on offer.
Start date: 2 October 2017
The aim of the internship is to give young researchers the opportunity to acquire work experience, improve their research skills and enhance their understanding of the South African economy. The internship is structured to give exposure to issues of industrial development, trade and the green economy as well as work on policy orientated projects.
The internship is for six months (renewable for a further six months by mutual agreement).
The intern will directly participate in projects carried out by TIPS.
Internship at Trade & Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS)
TIPS also offers the opportunity to conduct individual research, in line with the priorities of the institution. The research is on generating and analysing evidence-based options for industrial policy as the key to more inclusive economic growth.
- Perform economic research under the guidance of the line manager, and provide research input and data analysis
- Participate in and present research at internal discussions and workshops / events
- Publish research reports through the TIPS website, other publications, conferences, seminars, etc.
- A Masters (completed or in final stages of completing) in Economics; Development Studies, Environmental Sciences, or a related field (with Economics III)
- A passion for industrial policy, inclusive economic development and sustainable growth
- A study background on trade, industrial policy, the manufacturing sector and Sustainable growth
- Strong communication skills in writing, editing and presentation, with an excellent command of written and spoken English
- Strong computer skills, with a proven ability to manipulate data in Excel and knowledge of Stata or SPSS
- Teamwork and an ability to handle tight deadlines
To apply, submit your CV, a cover letter highlighting your interest for the position and how you match the requirements as well as a writing sample via e-mail to Edmore at Edmore@tips.org.za
Only applications with all of the components will be considered.
Correspondence will be limited to short-listed applicants only.
For more about Trade and Industrial Policy Strategies, refer to www.tips.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies