Centre for Environmental Rights NPC
Ref No. CER4/2017: Senior Administrator
Based in Cape Town. Closing date for applications: 5 June 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Centre for Environmental Rights is looking for a senior administrator to join our team. This person will provide general administrative and events organisation support for our office, as well as assisting with the establishment of FairShareSA, a new activist organisation aimed at promoting good corporate citizenship by driving responsible investment in South Africa. We need an energetic, sociable, reliable person with a strong commitment to social and environmental justice, good record-keeping skills and practice, an eye for detail and a sense of responsibility.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- Relevant degree or qualification, and a minimum of 3 years’ experience in an administrative or programmatic support role.
- Experience in the administration of grants, as well the establishment of new non-profit organisations, would be an advantage.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, as well as the ability to multi task in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent communication skills, attention to detail and commitment to high accuracy levels in all aspects of the job are essential.
- Computer literacy, with specific competence in Microsoft Office including Excel, and standard accounting packages (we use Pastel).
- A commitment to high quality client service, and a passion for social and environmental justice.
- Providing administrative support to the FairShareSA Project Coordinator in establishment and early roll-out of this new non-profit organisation.
- Providing general administrative support to the Centre, including ensuring compliance with donor grant contracts; assist with screening of phone calls, enquiries and requests; events organisation; maintaining organisational records; providing general bookkeeping assistance; preparation of files for litigation.
- Generally supporting the effective operation of the Centre’s office, programmes and events, and our objective of promoting environmental justice for all.
The Centre for Environmental Rights benchmarks its salaries for the public interest law sector. The salary offered will be dependent on the qualifications, skills and level of experience of the successful candidate, but will fall within the range R180 000-R220 000 per annum (total cost to company).
The Centre for Environmental Rights strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please read the following instructions before applying for any position at the Centre for Environmental Rights. We retain the right not to consider applications that fail to comply with these requirements.
- All applications must have your name and the vacancy reference number in the email subject line.
- All applications must include the following, preferably in a single PDF document:
- A cover letter (1-2 pages) explaining why you are interested in working for CER, and why you are interested in this particular post, as advertised. Please also include a motivation why you think you have the right qualifications, skills and experience for the particular position. Generalised covering letters that do not engage with CER’s activities and purpose will not be considered.
- A curriculum vitae (3-5 pages), that also lists at least three references with updated contact details.
- At least one written letter of reference, not more than 6 months old, and which relates to your most recent employment experience.
- Certified copies of academic transcripts for all tertiary qualifications.
- A certified copy of the photo page of your identity document, or – if you are not a South African citizen – a certified copy of the photo page of your passport, and of your valid work permit.
- The Centre for Environmental Rights strives to reflect South Africa’s racial, cultural and gender diversity within its staff complement. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
- The Centre for Environmental Rights is based in Cape Town. Unless otherwise indicated, all positions advertised are based in our Cape Town office. If you do not wish to work in or relocate to Cape Town, please do not apply.
- CER reserves the right not to appoint if suitable candidates are not found.
- All applications must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.