enke: Make Your Mark
enke: Make Your Mark (enke) is a leadership development organisation that generates and incubates youth-led social impact projects. The organisation focuses on developing the skills of youth to increase their effectiveness as leaders and their ability to contribute to a positive future. The name ‘enke’ is derived from the Setswana word for ‘ink’ and the Sesotho word for ‘take it’. This name reflects the organisation’s philosophy and work that empowers young leaders to become the authors of their futures by leading change in their communities (making their mark).
enke: Make Your Mark is calling for youth participants, schools and community partners to participate in the 2017 enke: Trailblazer Program – July Intakes! The July intakes of this program will kick-off with the 5-day, residential leadership conference called the enke: Forum, taking place in Polokwane (2nd-6th July 2017) and Bloemfontein (11th-15th July 2017).
The enke: Trailblazer Programme inspires and supports young people to create real change in their communities. Participants design and run projects to address the social issues they feel passionate about. Through this experience, participants increase their grit, social responsibility, self-efficacy and social capital, while gaining practical experience in project management and leadership.
Through the Trailblazer Programme, enke: Make Your Mark introduces high school learners to other like-minded, passionate and enthusiastic young people. Participants learn skills that will help them achieve their dreams and use these skills to design and run a project in their community. Participants walk away from the experience having made an impact on their communities and inspired to continue to make change happen.
Call for youth (Grade 10 & 11 Learners)
- Are you between the ages of 15 and 18? Do you want to develop yourself personally?
- Do you wish you were part of a network of young people who were taking action in their communities?
- Do you want to be part of making a difference in numerous lives across South Africa?
Call for Schools / Community Partners
- Do you work with Grade 10 and 11 learners?
- Are you looking to enhance the leadership skills of the youth in your programs?
- Do you have a desire to add leadership and community development training to your beneficiaries?
Then, become a collaboration partner! We believe that it takes a village to raise a child. We actively partner with schools and community organisations to work with us in selecting and supporting youth to participate in the Trailblazer Program. We are always looking for more partners to enhance the diversity and reach of our programs.
The enke: Trailblazer Program has long-term positive effect on the future of Trailblazers. In 2014 we conducted research on our alumni (past participants), which showed:
- Those who complete a community social action project are more likely to show higher levels of ‘soft’ skills, practical project skills and social support.
- Rates of further education and employment were higher in enke alumni when compared to national averages.
- Those who began a social action project (regardless of finishing it) are approximately three times more likely to be engaged in volunteering or self-directed social entrepreneurial efforts.
Participants in our Programmes go on to join our Alumni Network, accessing opportunities and support on an ongoing basis from enke: Make Your Mark.
Benefits of becoming a collaborative partner:
- Opportunity for personal leadership development and practical experience for beneficiaries of your organisation/school, which extends the scope of your offering to the youth you work with.
- Relatively low cost access to an established leadership and social action program. The associated financial cost is that of contributing to participation fees and/or transportation of your selected participants to the enke: Forum and Celebration Events.
- Regular customised reporting on the activities of your beneficiaries in the enke: Trailblazer Program that can be used for fundraising.
- Joint marketing and media with enke: Make Your Mark on the work of your beneficiaries that are selected to the enke: Trailblazer Program. Includes listing as an Implementation Partner in online and printed materials and media associated to the Trailblazer Program
How the enke: Trailblazer Programme Works
The Trailblazer Program has three key components:
- Training at the enke: Forum: Participants attend the enke: Forum – a week-long, residential retreat. Participants develop leadership, communication, and critical thinking skills; hear from inspirational speakers and experts in fields such as entrepreneurship, technology, media and the environment.
- Social Action: Running a Community Action Project allows participants to learn by doing (experiential learning). Through this process, participants develop key skills in project design and management. Over the 9-month period, enke provides technical and emotional support for participants through our trouble-shooting hotline and monthly SMS reports.
- Recognition: We recognise the effort that all participants put into the programme – even where a community action project isn’t completed. All participants who start a project are invited to regional celebration events. In addition, top projects are awarded prizes and all participants receive a certificate and letter of recognition.
For information and application, click here
What participation in the enke: Trailblazer Programme involves:
- Attending an enke: Forum and all other components of the Programme
- Committing to implementing a project in their community within the 6-9 months of the programme
- Providing updates/reports to a dedicate team from enke who will be there every step of the way
- Learning new skills and building on natural talents to be leaders of change in communities
The value of the enke: Trailblazer Programme is R9,850 per participant. Thanks to the generous support of our funding partners, we are able to offer this opportunity for a participation fee of R3,500 per person or for free for participants who qualify for participation fee waivers.
- Accommodation and meals for the enke: Forum and Celebration Event
- Intensive training to improve skills in leadership, communication, resilience and self-awareness
- Hands-on practical experience with designing and implementing a project
- Take home materials and information resources
- Dedicated support over the nine-month programme
- Recognition letters and certificates for completing the Programme
enke: Make Your Mark offers bursaries to cover programme fees for exceptional applicants. Priority for bursaries is given to youth with financial difficulties, those from under-resourced schools (annual fees less than R5000), as well as youth identified by our collaboration partners. At a minimum, Participants / Partners may be requested to cover transport to attend the programme training (enke: Forum) and celebration event at the end of the Programme.
For information and application, click here
For the Trailblazer Programme Information Booklet, click here
For more about enke: Make Your Mark, refer to www.enke.co.za
To view other opportunities, refer to www.ngopulse.org/group/home-page/other-opportunities