The Sci-Bono Discovery Centre, Southern Africa’s largest science centre, is affiliated to the Gauteng Department of Education to support maths, science and technology education and to help build to South Africa’s science, engineering and technology capacity. Sci-Bono is responsible for implementing the Gauteng Mathematics, Science and Technology Education Strategy.
Based in Johannesburg, Sci-bono seeks to appoint a
Chief Financial Officer
to implement the financial strategy of the organization in order to ensure compliance with statutory and contractual requirements, professional reporting and maintain financial stability within the organization.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Financial Strategy in support of the Organizational Objectives
- Financial accounting and administration systems and controls
- Donor fundraising strategy management
- Supply Chain management
- Building, Vehicles, support services, office supplies managed via effective systems, procedures and controls
The Chief Financial Officer must fulfill the following requirements:
- Solid financial management and business experience (working with NPOs is desirable though not essential)
- Preparation of financial statements
- Financial and management accounting knowledge
- Treasury and investment management
- A working knowledge of risk management, budgeting and forecasting
- Computer literacy with good conceptual understanding of computer systems and databases and a knowledge of the information needs for decision makers
- A working knowledge of donor funding in the NPO context is desirable, but not essential
- Well-developed financial, analytical and problem solving skills
- Leadership and people management experience in small to medium sized businesses
- A bachelor’s degree with Accounting as a major subject OR an NQF7 or higher qualification.
- Completed formal training with a registered firm of accountants registered with SAIPA or SAICA will be advantageous but not essential
- At least 5 years’ experience leading a finance team OR at a senior level within a finance department
- At least 5 years’ experience in supply chain environment and must have worked at an executive level for a nonprofit organization