Centre for Applied Legal Studies (CALS)
The Centre for Applied Legal Studies (CALS) is a civil society organisation based at the School of Law at the University of the Witwatersrand. CALS is also a law clinic, registered with the Law Society of the Northern Provinces. As such, CALS connects the worlds of both academia and social justice. CALS’ vision is a socially, economically and politically just society where repositories of power, including the state and the private sector, uphold human rights.
CALS seeks to appoint a Researcher, based in Johannesburg.
The Researcher will work across our Basic Services, Business and Human Rights and Gender Programmes.
- Conduct research in support of CALS’ litigation and advocacy initiatives
- Conduct field research in communities
- Draft research reports
- Provide input into draft policies and legislation
- Represent CALS in engagements with communities, civil society, government and the private sector
- Conduct media interviews and writing opinion editorials
- An LLB or other relevant degree
- A Masters or PhD in a relevant field will be an advantage
- A demonstrated interest in human rights work and social justice
- A strong interest in research as a component of lawyering
- Ability to undertake both desktop and field research and produce written reports for publication
- Oral and written communication skills in English
- Proficiency in other South African languages will be an advantage
To apply, submit a CV, academic transcript, writing sample of no longer than five pages and a covering letter motivating why you have the necessary qualifications, skills and experience for this position as well as the names and contact details of two referees using Wits’ online portal at https://irec.wits.ac.za/.
Enquiries: Ms Zelda Stroud, Human Resources Officer firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Applicants should be wishing to pursue a career in social justice in particular rather than just securing a job anywhere.
Individuals from previously and currently disadvantaged population groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The University reserves the right not to appoint if suitable candidates are not found.
For more about the Talisman Foundation, refer to www.talisman.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies