NASTAD South Africa
Job Title: Finance and Administration Officer, South Africa
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa, with up to 30% travel in South Africa
Reports to: NASTAD South Africa Country Director
Purpose and Description
The Finance and Administration (F&A) Officer will be responsible for implementing all South Africa (SA) Field Office operations, financial management and accounting for a small and energetic NASTAD-SA team. The F&A Officer will support the Country Director (CD) in ensuring adherence to donor and NASTAD requirements and all applicable governing regulations of South Africa. The F&A Officer will actively work with headquarters and the CD in maximizing office efficiencies, improving the quality and accuracy of financial reporting and management, offering support for effective implementation to program staff, and incorporating best practices into important areas of compliance, such as procurement, travel, and human resources (HR).
- Manage day-to-day financial operations of the organization, including cash disbursements, cash receipts, accounts payable, accounts receivables summaries, banking, data entry and filing.
- Calculate and process payroll, making the required deductions and tax payments; generate and submit necessary reports.
- Ensure financial statements are accurate and up-to-date, prepared in accordance with accounting standards and NASTAD-SA policy and procedures.
- Assemble and submit monthly transfer requests to headquarters per approved budget and program plan, and conduct month-end close activities including the preparation of relevant schedules, reconciliations, and reports.
- Prepare annual audit statement and lead NASTAD-SA external audit process, including preparation, procurement, and auditors’ office visit through finalizing the report
- Execute HR administrative functions, such as timesheet and leave management, recruitment and hiring, on-boarding new employees.
- Direct the procurement process for NASTAD-SA, ensuring full compliance with applicable rules and regulations, accurate and complete documentation and signatures, and effective vendor management.
- Maintain all statutory requirements and the good standing of the organization, submit necessary reports and any payment of fees, retain up-to-date organizational records,
- Provide meetings and travel logistical support to program staff as they implement NASTAD-SA program activities,
- In close collaboration with the CD, manage the NASTAD-SA office day-to-day business operations, including all information and communication technology, office supplies and equipment inventory, and safety and security measures.
- Carry out other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the CD.
- Advanced skills and knowledge in financial accounting, financial management, analysis, and reporting.
- Strong knowledge of South Africa Labor Laws and skills in HR administration.
- Thorough understanding of relevant United States Government (USG) donor rules of compliance, and applicable South African laws and regulations that are necessary for a small organization to operationalize program plans and budgets.
- Excellent skills in electronic file management and computer skills, with advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office 365, QuickBooks, VIP.
- Proven business administration and management skills, including organizational and systems development and management.
- Effective communication skills with partners, staff, and colleagues with a high level of tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects while giving great attention to detail.
- Exceptional ability to work independently, as well as a part of a small and highly technical team.
- Excellent business-oriented oral and written communication skills, including financial report writing and formal presentations to groups.
- Good command of the English language.
- Familiarity with South African health care structure and system would be an added advantage.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration minimum.
- Five or more years of financial accounting experience with an international nongovernmental organization (NGO) funded by United States Government (USG) (e.g. USAID or CDC under PEPFAR).
- Demonstrated management experience in:
- financial accounting, budget management, analysis, and reporting for an organization;
- leading day-to-day business operations of a small office, including procurement, HR administration, travel and meeting logistical support;
- effective management of several significant projects with multiple tasks;
- ensuring full compliance with USG donor rules and requirements, and applicable NGO laws and regulations in SA (e.g. SARS, VAT, labor laws) and industry best practice standards.
Physical Effort and Dexterity
- Position requires mobility and ability to travel independently.
Visual Acuity, Hearing, and Speaking
- Position requires the ability to communicate effectively both in person and via telephone and/or non-visual internet connection.
Environment and Scheduling
- Interest in working with an HIV/AIDS public health organization.
- Interest in working within a diverse work environment.
- Willingness to travel throughout South Africa, as required.
Special Working Conditions
Position requires legal residence and right-to-work in SA. NASTAD will not provide relocation and/or housing assistance for individual selected for position.
This position posting does not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, and their education and work experience. The employer has the right to revise this posting and/or the job description at any time. Neither this posting nor the job description is a contract for employment.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR.SouthAfrica@NASTAD.org Subject line should read “Finance and Administration Officer, South Africa” only; a cover/ motivational letter and resume or CV should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered as applicants.
Due to the extremely high volume of resumes, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS in reference to this position will be accepted.