mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based global health not-for-profit organisation committed to eliminating the transmission of HIV from mothers to babies, and creating healthy futures for mothers, their families, and communities. m2m’s peer-based Mentor Mother model has proven effective in improving the health of women and their children, reducing mother-to-child HIV transmission rates, and generating significant savings on HIV treatment costs, while empowering HIV-positive women through training and employment. Since its founding almost 15 years ago, Mentor Mothers have reached more than 1.3 million HIV-positive mothers in nine countries in sub-Saharan Africa. The m2m model has been identified as a key strategy in the United Nations Global Plan to eliminate pediatric AIDS and promote healthy motherhood. Join us by visiting www.m2m.org or follow us @m2mtweets
Consultant: Reproductive Maternal Newborn and Child Health Programme Design and Development
Scope of Work
This Scope of Work outlines a request for the services of a consultant to support mothers2mothers’ Department of Programmes & Technical Support (DPTS) in the research, conceptualisation, design, and development of a comprehensive RMNCH programme.
mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based, global NGO that unlocks the potential of mothers and their families through scalable, high-impact interventions to women and children, their families and communities. m2m’s peer-based Mentor Mother Model has proven effective in improving the health of women and their children, reducing mother-to-child HIV transmission rates, and generating significant savings on HIV treatment costs, while empowering HIV-positive women through training and employment. mothers2mothers programme scope has recently been enhanced to also include universal HIV treatment, comprehensive reproductive maternal neonatal and child health (RMNCH), early childhood development, adolescent health & youth development with particular focus on orphans and vulnerable children; capacity building/technical assistance to local partners for quality programme service delivery.
Work to be accomplished
The proposed work to be accomplished under this consultancy consists of:
Phase 1: Formative research on Adolescent Health best practice and implementation
Conduct a landscape analysis and formative research. The following key issues should be addressed:
- Globally and specifically in existing and future m2m countries (South Africa, Zambia, Malawi, Swaziland, Lesotho , Mozambique and Uganda) what RMNCH programmes and implementation approaches and best practices currently exist – including biomedical, social and behaviour change, education and peer approaches? What services and intervention are provided?
- Are these approaches applicable to the contexts that m2m works in? Are these approaches / models of service delivery relevant to m2m’s current approach and can they be integrated into the m2m model? How can m2m’s current approach / model be enhanced for greater impact?
- Who are the key players in RMNCH in the contexts that m2m works in? What is their approach and how do they position themselves? What are gaps and are there potential partnership opportunities?
- What are the barriers to implementing comprehensive RMNCH programmes? What is the feasibility of implementing services?
- What are the barriers to male involvement in RMNCH? What is the feasibility of implementing services? What are the approaches currently being used to improve male involvement and how can they be applied to the m2m model?
- What RMNCH funding is available?
Phase 2: Lead programme conceptualisation and design
Building on the above formative research, the consultant will work with m2m Head Office staff to lead the RMNCH programme conceptualisation and design. Key activities will include:
- Provide technical leadership and expertise on all aspects of the comprehensive RMNCH programme conceptualisation and design including developing an evidence based RMNCH Programme Model.
- Define and finalise the goals and objectives of the programme in line with m2m’s strategic priorities.
- Review m2m’s existing theory of change and adapt to better demonstrate the impact pathway for the designed RMNCH programme.
- Design an essential RMNCH intervention package and portfolio of specific intervention activities.
- Design an accompanying male involvement programme framework to improve male engagement in RMNCH
Phase 3: Lead Programme tool and System Development up to the point of implementation
- Liaise with M&E to lead development of a results framework and M&E System.
- Liaise with training and a curriculum development expert to develop RMNCH training programme and material.
- Liaise with capacity building specialist to develop programme standards and procedures.
- Liaise with Programs and M&E units to develop/adapt programme QA/QI tools.
- Work with colleagues to develop an operational framework that includes a clear implementation plan including roles and responsibilities linked to activities, supervision structure, service delivery and budgets.
- Adapt the operational framework to each country context and develop country specific intervention package - including project activities and budgets.
- Phase 1: Landscape Analysis and Formative Research Report ( 30 days)
- Phase 2 a) Programme Concept and Design (40 days)
- Phase 2 b) Male involvement programme framework (20 days)
- Phase 3: Programme Tool and System Development up to the point of implementation (20 days)
- Phase 4: Support Country level dissemination (10 days)
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in public health/related field
- At least 10 years’ experience in public health programme design and management, preferably in the field of HIV/AIDS, RMNCH, and adolescents/youth.
- Experience in planning, managing, monitoring and advising adolescent/youth health programmes.
- Experience designing programme framework and implementation of RMNCH projects in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience working with a diverse groups of stakeholders.
- Ability to build and maintain diverse relationships, be culturally sensitive, and maintain a respectful demeanour in context of working within then international development sector.
- Fluency in English essential.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- High level of computer literacy (MS Office Suite).
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve, make decisions, and work independently with minimal supervision. Ability to work well under pressure, manage multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines.
Travel: Occasional travel to South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland. All travel costs will be reimbursed or paid directly by m2m.
Level of effort: 100%
Location: Flexible. Cape Town, South Africa preferred
Duration: 6 months with possible extension
Schedule of deliverables TBC
Interested applicants should apply for this position via https://www.m2m.org/careers/ by 27 February 2017.