Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC)
EDC, with funding from USAID, will be implementing the School-Based Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education Activity, a 5-year contract (currently in year 3) that will support the South African Government to reduce HIV infections in students and teachers by assisting the Department of Basic Education to implement high quality, evidence-informed sexuality and HIV prevention education programs.
EDC is a global nonprofit organization that designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Working with public sector and private partners, we harness the power of people and systems to improve education, health promotion and care, workforce preparation, communications technologies, and civic engagement. Founded in 1958, EDC’s headquarters are located in Waltham, Massachusetts, USA with additional offices in New York City and Washington, DC, Nairobi and Bangkok. EDC implements projects in over 35 countries with more than 1,300 employees worldwide.
The Senior Program Administrator will support the overall administration function of the Activity. S/he will support the Activity with core administrative functions, operations and finance, by assisting with preparing documents, providing procurement support, meeting coordination, minute taking and scheduling, maintaining filing system (paper and electronic). In addition, s/he will be responsible for making travel arrangements for staff and consultants as well as coordinating meeting details for their visits and other support services as necessary, while ensuring compliance with organizational terms, procedures, systems and policies. S/he will work closely with the US-based Procurement Director, International Associate Program Director, and others to provide administrative and procurement support to senior level staff, while supervising all office management duties.
The Senior Program Administrator will effectively interact with a diverse staff and clients, engage as a member of a team, accept feedback, troubleshoot questions or problems and seek help, supervision and support as needed. This position reports to the Director of Financial Management and Operations and is located in Pretoria, South Africa.
Essential functions include (but are not limited to):
Travel and Schedule Management
- Make travel arrangements for local and home office staff as needed. Communicate clearly the details of the travel plans, and follow up with the travel agent to make sure that travel is arranged according to our specifications and/or requirements. This includes, request for quotations from the travel agency and quotations for accommodation, arranging airport transfers and also car hire.
- Co-ordinate external meeting schedules and transportation requirements for all EDC staff to include coordination of all drivers’ schedules.
- Provide logistic support for all meetings, workshops and conferences, excluding training activities.
Meeting and Recordkeeping
- Prepare and maintain Activity Dashboard.
- Take minutes at Activity meetings and share with relevant stakeholders.
- Manage and maintain the filing system (electronic and paper). This includes filing the final versions of activity materials on the EDC server and SharePoint site, on a monthly basis.
- Ensure that the filing system is up-to-date and accurate at all times.
Provide Procurement Support
- Conduct market research to identify potential suppliers of goods/services, gather market pricing and prepare advertisements for placement of solicitations in newspapers and on web sites.
- Prepare and issue procurement documents such as request for quotations, analyze quotations, conduct the reference check process, and issue local purchase orders in accordance with the project’s policies and procedures.
- Supervise and document the receipt of goods/services purchased, ensure procurement files are up-to-date, and follow up with suppliers for tax and other documentation as required.
- To develop and maintain a register of preferred vendors in each of the provinces that EDC works in.
- Supervise and monitor the Cleaner/Office Assistant and the two Drivers.
- Arrange for and oversee the maintenance of office equipment.
- Ensure staff have access to, understand and use all necessary administrative forms. If necessary, create new forms to meet needs.
- Ensure that all supporting documents for financial transactions are accurate and submitted to finance for processing.
- Ensure office orderliness and professional appearance for the effective running of the office.
- Ensure that all correspondence and documents are properly copied and filed in accordance with filing system as directed by the supervisor.
- Liaising with all service providers concerning the service rendered or to be rendered.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- National Senior Certificate/Matric, Vocational Training or equivalent with 6 or more years relevant experience, or
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent with 4-6 years relevant experience;
- 3-5 years administrative management experience with international projects in an office setting, including the supervision of staff;
- Successful experience working in a diverse, face-paced environment;
- Strong professional acumen and judgement including proven capacity to manage processes with excellent attention to detail;
- Excellent computer skills including Word, Powerpoint and Excel Microsoft Office programs, for example;
- Knowledge of database software preferred;
- Fluency in written and oral English required;
- Individuals with previous experience working on USAID activities are encouraged to apply;
- Eligibility to work in South Africa.
Application and contact details:
Interested qualified candidates are requested to submit their resumes to email@example.com by 22 February 2017. To ensure the timely review of your credentials, please insert “Senior Programme Administrator” in the subject line of the email. Only candidates who are being invited for an interview will be contacted.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits.