African Leadership Academy
African Leadership Academy (ALA) seeks to transform Africa by identifying, developing, and connecting thousands of leaders for the continent over the next few decades. The Academy is founded on the philosophy that a new generation of ethical, committed leaders is the key to Africa’s development. ALA seeks to become training ground for these future leaders. Each year, ALA draws the most outstanding students from across Africa to its campus in South Africa. Here, they build a powerful intellectual foundation and develop their leadership capacity through ALA’s unique curriculum in Entrepreneurial Leadership. ALA then works with these young leaders throughout their lives as they enable lasting positive change on the African continent.
ALA seeks to appoint a Teaching Faculty, based in Johannesburg.
Teachers working within the curriculum seek to build each student’s capacity for critical analytical thinking through required courses in Writing and Rhetoric, African Studies, Mathematics, Entrepreneurial Leadership, and elective offerings in the sciences, humanities, and creative arts.
ALA actively participates in a broad range of external opportunities and competitions, and challenges students to carry out independent research. As a boarding school environment, every faculty member participates in holistic student life. Faculty members report to department heads and work with peers to transform their curriculum such that it can advance the Academy’s mission.
Start date: August 2017.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Conduct vibrant discussion-based courses six days per week for truly exceptional students from across Africa
- Actively contribute to the development of a curriculum that will empower leaders for the 21st century
- Serve as a faculty advisor for 6-8 students
- Contribute to student life by coaching student teams
- Serve as a tutor on duty in the dormitory once a week
- Work with peers to advance pedagogy, school culture, and student life
- Strong track record of developing exceptional critical thinking skills with late secondary school students
- An innovator, who creates world-class learning environments and fosters interdisciplinary connections
- Passionate about your subject and the learning process
- Demonstrated fluency in English. Fluency in other languages spoken broadly on the continent is a plus.
To apply, submit a CV, cover letter, writing sample and click here and complete a form.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the African Leadership Academy, refer to www.africanleadershipacademy.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.